Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys this is my first post, i just bought an 89 mustang 2.3 5 speed and love it i traded a 92 2.3 ranger for it (ranger was too small for me) and so far everything goes well. a few days ago i was at the junkyard and asking around a found an old 88 thunderbird turbo 2.3, they wanted 125 for it so i jumped on it. its missing the turbocharger the computer and wiring harness, so i thought no prob ill just go with a carb, everyone is telling me that carbs are a pain to tune with a turbo and after spending days reading up on it i now agree. so what i am asking is can i run a supercharger and have it pull through a carb on a 2.3, it has the intake you can unbolt half of and it sits flat so there should be no problem right?

i also have plans for a cam and porting the head im just trying to figure out what type of aspiration im going with first

·
Registered
654 Posts
put all your N/A parts on it and put it in the car, it will run without the turbo. then find a turbo ecm, VAM and injectors, it takes less than and hour re-pinning your factory harness to run the turbo ecu a carb wont bolt to the lower intake without major fabrication, and you'd need a special carb that wont pressurize the float bowls, then when allls said and done you might as well have put in a v6 cause carbs suck.LOL!

·
Registered
800 Posts
i would give that engine a good compression check before you put it in, and it would be a good idea to pull the head and give it a very thorough look. its very common for turbo engines to have cracked heads, so better you find out now than after you have everything installed. even if the head is toast, you still got a good deal. and a new head isnt hard to find.
i dont know as much about superchargers as i do about turbo, but i've heard that its easier to run a super with a carb than a turbo. carbed turbo is an exercise in frustration lol. and turboeeyore is right, it would be just as easy to get a new turbo and computer (you can even buy them new at the parts stores now) and repin your existing wiring harness. if you did, youd have the advantage of having the computer to help you tune everything correctly, and check engine codes are a livesaver that has kept me from pulling my hair out on multiple occasions.
whatever you go with (because to each their own), have fun and be safe.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Like mention pull head and check head for cracks and blown headgasket. Fairly common but no big deal. If car is running put this engine on engine stand and start collecting parts.
First go back to j-yard and get the vam,mount etc and wiring connection for it if it is there.
2nd downpipe off the turbo. Only need enough to get under the car. Muffler shop can do rest. Or forget it and later buy a downpipe. If cheap worth getting. Need it later on.
3rd computer in driver side kickpanel.
If all this is gone. Keep eye open e-bay, post a wtb here for what is need. You can repin you car wiring for turbo. Pretty easy. That is what I did.
Supercharger bad idea. Been done, lot of custom parts and he only got the hp same as the weakest 2.3 turbo. About 145hp.
Carb turbo any shape and form bad idea except drag race maybe. Good luck and start searching. Maurice

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like mention pull head and check head for cracks and blown headgasket. Fairly common but no big deal. If car is running put this engine on engine stand and start collecting parts.
First go back to j-yard and get the vam,mount etc and wiring connection for it if it is there.
2nd downpipe off the turbo. Only need enough to get under the car. Muffler shop can do rest. Or forget it and later buy a downpipe. If cheap worth getting. Need it later on.
3rd computer in driver side kickpanel.
If all this is gone. Keep eye open e-bay, post a wtb here for what is need. You can repin you car wiring for turbo. Pretty easy. That is what I did.
Supercharger bad idea. Been done, lot of custom parts and he only got the hp same as the weakest 2.3 turbo. About 145hp.
Carb turbo any shape and form bad idea except drag race maybe. Good luck and start searching. Maurice
i would love to go EFI if i could, but i was wondering if i did buy a computer for an 88 t bird how will i know if it used a MAP or a MAF?
and also how will i know what pins do what on the computer that i buy? modding my wire harness does sound really easy and a smarter way to go.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
89 Mustang already EFI. Now the turbo use a Vam not MAF.
Vam is used on the 2.3 turbo. Looks like this.
VAM swap
The Vam must be mounted in the 89. It does have a map sensor. Now on wiring that is easy. Info at top of forum page. Basic info here. Time to do some reading.
87-90 Mustang Turbo Swap Wiring Info
Just look in my Photobucket just look at the oldest picture and go to the newest not that hard.
Pictures by mgman75 - Photobucket
On repinning the harness I done a video on how. Maurice
eec-iv harness :: 100_0204.mp4 video by mgman75 - Photobucket

·
Registered
654 Posts
barrometric pressure sensor= no vacuum line :bigthumbsup

it only took me 3 days to finish my swap i was driving it on the tuesday, 90% of the mustang stuff gets used, its too bad your so far away cause i got almost everything you need in my shed. i have 2 merkur ecu's 2 small vane air meters, a IHI turbo and a E6 manifold, i think i have 2 sets of injectors but i'd have to look. once i find this stuff i kinda hoard it incase someone needs it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts