Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 1966 mustang and im looking for a 302 to put in it i found an engine but im having problems decoding it.. can you help me out soon?
the code is C40E-9425 and the other Four digits are 4D28, help would be great.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Before 68 its a 289 so i believe thats a 1964 289 if im not correct, im sure veronica can tell u alot more about that motor...

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I'm showing for a C4OE to be either a 260 or 289, both would have the 5 bolt bell housing pattern. 4D28 would show 1964, April 28 cast date.
Dave - learning the numbers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well now im confused

ok so the code on the intake was c40e-9425 and 4d28
but i removed one of the valve covers and underneath near the springs was 351 stamped into the block... is this a 351??

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) The number that you have is the casting number for the intake manifold. 9425 is the group number that means ' This part is some kind of an intake manifold.' As was already stated, the 4D28 is the date that this manifold was cast at the foundry and is April 28, 1964. To find out what the block is, you'll need to move the starter out of the way. There will be a number similar to the one on the intake manifold, except the group number will be 6015. There will also be a date code right above it. Also, if you pull the valve covers off, you will see either a '289' or a '302' cast into the top of the head. There will also be a date code on each head. Hope that helps.:) And, thank you, Shagadoodle, that is very sweet of you to say that.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you but now have another question...

Thank You and he was very right about you. BUT i have another interesting thing happen..i still can't find the block vin BUT when i took the valve covers off there is a 351 stamped on it...now im young but not stupid.. this possibly could be a Boss 302 that had a 289 intake stupidly stuck on it? or it could be a homemade Boss 302.. either way i this guy i bought it from had no clue what he had...

·
Registered
394 Posts
ok i don't think its a boss 302 cause a boss 302 has cleveland style heads (correct me if im wrong) so its most likely not a boss 302....what do u mean u can't find the block casting number is it not behind the starter? also be aware that over 45 years the parts get mismatched for windsors bc everything on a 302 351 and 289 are interchangable.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
No its not a boss a boss uses a special intake manifold a home made boss 302 would need the same intake or a edlebrock one for it..The easiest way to tell its a boss or normal 302 is the freeze plugs the boss had screw in ones normal 302 was press in.
the casting numbers you need are be hide the starter and trust me they are still there.

·
Registered
211 Posts
putting 351W heads on a 302 block was a common performance upgrade back in the day. A Boss 302 would have 8 valve cover bolts, home made or not. You'll still need to pull the starter to get the casting numbers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.