Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to help a friend of mine out by finding any all information I can on trying to swap a SR20DET into a 1993 Mustang ("Fox Body") as he likes to call it. He currently doesn't have any internet so he asked me to help. He said any Tech, diagrams, websites, or companies, etc that we can be referred to would help too. So if anyone has any advice or knowledge we can use please feel free to message me, reply here, or email me. Thank you!! :D

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm trying to help a friend of mine out by finding any all information I can on trying to swap a SR20DET into a 1993 Mustang ("Fox Body") as he likes to call it. He currently doesn't have any internet so he asked me to help. He said any Tech, diagrams, websites, or companies, etc that we can be referred to would help too. So if anyone has any advice or knowledge we can use please feel free to message me, reply here, or email me. Thank you!! :D
what is a sr20det enigne? is that a nissan motor. why did he get rid of the 5.0?

·
Registered
806 Posts
If I'm not mistaken it blew up. He's had it since 1993. And yes, it's a Nissan motor.
why not just put another 5.0 motor in it? is this nissan motor already pushing some serious power? because i researched it and all those motors put out is 206hp to the crank. as far as putting it in i think it would need a whole new k member from a older model that had a 4cyl in it.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
yeah bro, besides motor, he'll need a transmission, ecu and a gazillion other things to make it work...tell him to get a Mustang engine to replace the one he had

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know all the specifics. I just know that he's needing a little help and advice. I'm sure there's a method to his madness.:winks This isn't the first project he's worked on. He's also got a 1967 Mustang that he's had to put on hold because of the 1993 Mustang being down. That was his everyday vehicle.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
Honestly, you are in the wrong forum for that kinda advice...most of us are Ford guys, you are in the realm of "hot rodding" and then some...a Nissan forum might be a better place to try

·
Registered
806 Posts
Honestly, you are in the wrong forum for that kinda advice...most of us are Ford guys, you are in the realm of "hot rodding" and then some...a Nissan forum might be a better place to try
+1 not being disrespectful but i dont think anyone in ther right mind on here would even think in a trillion years of putting a 200hp nissan engine in a fox body sorry. It would be more cost efficent to put a ford motor in there........

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No disrespect taken. I get it. But again, it's for a friend of mine. He's already bought this engine and it's in the process of doing some wiring. He's already admitted to not being very good at the wiring part but whatever floats his boat. Everyone is different. I'm a Chevrolet girl anyway. :shigrin Thanks anyway guys!

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
In on page one.

(I think this'll get good)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm sure it would just come to having to come up with a motor mount of some kind to do this.. I mean, for shits and giggles, and out of curiosity i've checked out nissan 240 forums because i hear lots of guys are taking KA*(nissan sh*t) motors out because a fully dressed 4 banger and turbo.. doesn't put out as much power as a stock 224 horse 302.. and they don't make torque worth a beans.. at least the 300 or so the 302 cranks out is enough to get them nissan guys finally a little more chipper when they are more sideways with ford, than with nissan sh*t.. HAHA! :winks::bigthumbsup:worship

So anyways, without going on a bender with how awesome it is, that import guys are throwing ford blocks in there imports because they 4 bangers are heavy and sluggish and 302's stock weigh the same and make way more power.. Its still being done.. they are making motor mounts to put a v8 in a 4 banger..
So this is just the opposite.. It IS do-able, its just going to take some time, but im sure its not going to be that bad.. the wiring and ecu part of it is going to be way too much work for what its worth.. if your looking for power.. a 5.8L windsor swap would make so much more sense for the ease of the work, and effectiveness and far less cost of doing this swap..

I know its your friend, so i'll say this expression because its a good one, and no harm ment by it hopefully.. "Work smart, not hard stupid!" lol just a sayin'.. But in this scenario, i say stick with the ford block.. and find an old datsun or something like that to put that SR20DET into.. :bigthumbsup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts