Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first the original motor is a 260 V8, came from factory with it, the car came with a 3 speed manual, but that was switched by previous owner in favor of automatic 3 speed.

I'm planning to rebuild a 5.0 motor, its full roller high performance parts atm.
I'm leaning twards buying Intake/carb for it to look like a old motor on outside.

I want to stick a manual transmission in it, but im at a loss for words when it comes to this.

What problems em I going to have making this swap?

First: what kind of transmission can fit to the 5.0 and the 65 mustang body?, and right now im leaning twards 4 speed over 5, cause it wont be on the highway much.

What should i look for?
How much would I be looking to pay/new/used
Modifications required?
Is this swap practical?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well you will also have to improve the suspesion since the 5.0 is considerably heavier & bigger than the 289 v8 (i don't think there is a 260 v8), brakes too because you will be dealing with a lot more power. You will also need a bigger carb and probably a new fuel pump, depends on the size and condition of your radiator you may also need a bigger one to cool the engine, smaller fan spacer, etc. there is a wide variety of parts to be conseidered to do this swap.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a early mustang from 1964, and it had choice between 260 V8 reg 289 v8 or HO 289.

From first hand driving, the suspension/brakes have been redone very resently, no squeaks or creaks, smooth for a old car.
But besides the already known swaps need (rad/Carb all that engine goodies) what changes need to be made, the car was always a V8, drum breaks 8 inch rear, no power steering or breaks.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
The 260, 289, 302(5.0) are the same physical size and very close in weight. A swap to a 5.0 is a direct bolt in. Depending on the year of the 5.0. you'll want to use your original timing cover, water pump and oil pan. Depending on the size of the camshaft you choose, the factory 260 valve covers will be too short. The 64 1/2 V8 cars use a 3 piece motor mount which you can use on the 5.0 or you can swap to the more common 2 piece mount. I believe thw 3 piece mounts raise the engine just a tad. Your original brakes and suspension will be fine. The carburetor, intake, fuel pump and radiator will depend on how much performance work you do to the engine.

Mike

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would I be able to keep or need to replace the Generator, or whats required to bolt in a 5.0? anything like electronics or something i might miss?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts