Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just recieved my 1998 mustang coupe, and i would really like to connect my ipod to it. As far as i know there is no aux input. So what do i do? Do i need to add something to it, or is there another solution?
Thanks.

·
Registered
556 Posts
get a new head unit that can connect iPod's to it

·
Registered
31 Posts
if you have a cassette stereo you can buy a cassette adapter for like $10 or an FM transmitter but you mite here static with the transmitter

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Casette player

Alright, so it does have a casette player. Is there any really good brand i should be aware of? Il probably just go into town and just wing it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Don't buy one of those I-pod transmitters that hook up with an unused radio station it's terrible quality and statics alot. I just recommend buying a radio that can support I-pod USB plug ins.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
+ 2 (3, 4, w/ever it's on) on the head unit. Cassette tape converters are OK unless you actually want to hear your music (it loses fidelity, moreso with increased volume); FM transmitters don't work (just static-y). A head unit can be had for less than $100. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
39 Posts
I actually have an FM Transmitter for my Ipod and with these you really do get what you pay for. My first one i spend like $20 bucks and was completely worhtless. Stacky and constantly changin stations. I got a belkin one later for $90 and i can put it on over any local radio station without static. I have a 97 Mustang. A new head unit will end up sounding the best but i personally hate seeing wires and havint the non uniform look

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats how i feel. I dont want to have to wire an entire new head unit in. Besides that i think it would look kinda rediculous. Of course between a casette thingie and a fm transmitter, which one would work the best..?

·
Banned
439 Posts
I have a FM transmitter and never had any issues with it. Even when my friend is 2-3 car lengths behind me pick up my music.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Thats how i feel. I dont want to have to wire an entire new head unit in. Besides that i think it would look kinda rediculous. Of course between a casette thingie and a fm transmitter, which one would work the best..?
It's not as bad as you think -- you're making it sound like surgery! :shocked: Usually you can find a head unit that's just for your car -- then you just unplug the old one and plug in the new one... If you happen to get more of a "universal" head unit (which seems to be all they have nowadays), just make sure you tell them what car you have and it will come with a harness. Plug one end of the harness to your car's wire, and the other end into the back of the head unit.

And all the wires fit behind the head unit, so it looks clean. :bigthumbsup
I have a FM transmitter and never had any issues with it. Even when my friend is 2-3 car lengths behind me pick up my music.
On the other hand, I've had nothing but problems with static and radio stations come in over the ipod... It all depends on what ya pay for I guess. I've had slightly better luck with the cassette thing, but it doesn't have the full sound.

So spend $90 on a transmitter -- or a little more on a head unit, hide the ipod in your glovebox (wire behind the dash), and have the ability to add a sub. Choice is yours. :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
you get what you pay for just remember, i have a sony xplod headunit, had some guy at the local mall hook it up in like 25 minutes, and it has the ipod plug in, in it, works like a champ, and has the ability to hook up a sub, and if you want the ipod wire to be hidden, then i think there are alpine head units that have the hook ups in the back, but the choice is yours, GOOD LUCK

·
Banned
439 Posts
It's not as bad as you think -- you're making it sound like surgery! :shocked: Usually you can find a head unit that's just for your car -- then you just unplug the old one and plug in the new one... If you happen to get more of a "universal" head unit (which seems to be all they have nowadays), just make sure you tell them what car you have and it will come with a harness. Plug one end of the harness to your car's wire, and the other end into the back of the head unit.

And all the wires fit behind the head unit, so it looks clean. :bigthumbsup

On the other hand, I've had nothing but problems with static and radio stations come in over the ipod... It all depends on what ya pay for I guess. I've had slightly better luck with the cassette thing, but it doesn't have the full sound.

So spend $90 on a transmitter -- or a little more on a head unit, hide the ipod in your glovebox (wire behind the dash), and have the ability to add a sub. Choice is yours. :D
I payed like $25 for mine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.