Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered the MaxSpeed 2.0" Front and 1.8" Rear. I was wondering what all i have to do besides springs if anything. Money is tight. Do i need a spring compressor to install the springs? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If your gonna drop it that much you will need caster camber plates to properly align it. If mot you will chew up lots of tires. Most say only go 1.5 inches and you will need minimal other stuff to make it work right.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
2 inches is a lot of inches

At about 2" of front end drop, you start needing all sorts of things...

The cast/camber plates are a good idea, and odds are you'd be wise to replace the stock Struts and Shocks - you'll be outside their stock operating range, and they'll fail to work properly, die prematurely, or both. Depending on the mileage on your car, swapping them out may be needed in any event.

This much drop can also make the tie rod ends stop working properly, and a bumpsteer kit will be in order (steeda has a good one, and I've heard that the cheaper UPR items aren't bad). Failure to fix bumpsteer can result in erratic handling.

The install is not bad, but you'll need at least 2 good jackstands and a hydraulic jack (2 jacks would be better). Use the jack to relieve the preload on the springs and then unbolt them and the struts, etc.

Most spring sets do not include new spring isolators (2 that fit over the top coil, and 2 discs that sit over the top). Replace these unless the car has very low miles on it. DO NOT listen to those who say you don't need them - you will lower the car ANOTHER 1/4 to 1/2", and the top of your springs will rub on the metal of your strut tower, creating a squeal only a masochist would love.

If you can still change your order, consider going with springs that lower the car about 1 to 1 1/2". Progessive rated springs work best on the street, imo, and the other suspension components will tolerate this much drop without further modification - though I also believe c/c plates on these cars are a good idea because of all the additional tuning they offer for the suspension.

tripleblack

Nagy said:
I just ordered the MaxSpeed 2.0" Front and 1.8" Rear. I was wondering what all i have to do besides springs if anything. Money is tight. Do i need a spring compressor to install the springs? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Go with something like an Eibach Pro-kit. You'll get the look you want without the hassle of messing with tire issues down the line.

·
Registered
179 Posts
like tb said caster/camber are a must

·
Registered
154 Posts
Go with something like the H&R sports or SS, or the Eibach prokit. If you keep the drop to about 1.5 you can avoid shocks and struts (they would still be a good idea though). Caster Camber plates are a must on any drop over an inch I'd say.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.