Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed in the last day or so there have been some problems shifting gears that weren't there before. It's like the stick doesn't want to go fully into each gear when shifting. The first time it happened I was at a drive-thru getting a large double-double and when I went to pull away from the window, I put the clutch in but the shifter wouldn't go into 1st and I ended up letting the clutch out a little to see if she would find the gear but it just grinded instead, and then worked fine. The same happens when I'm out on the road and shifting gears normally...some times the shifter will go into 3rd about 2/3ds of the way but it's difficult to get it in the last little bit.

First I thought maybe the floor mat slid under my clutch pedal and wasn't allowing me to press it all the way, but I checked that and it wasn't in the way. Could it be fluid level? or maybe the clutch cable stretching/about to bust? I'm really stumped here so any suggestions you guys/gals have would be great.

·
Registered
172 Posts
did you use dexron mercon III? do you have a stock quadrant? if so push the clutch pedal to the floor ,the lift it up as far as it will go to adj it. could be a stretched cable

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
did you use dexron mercon III? do you have a stock quadrant? if so push the clutch pedal to the floor ,the lift it up as far as it will go to adj it. could be a stretched cable

I agree with apollo....it sounds like the clutch cable is stretched and worn out.
You might try adjusting the clutch a little tighter to get more throw on the fork and see if that helps. If it is still a stock adjuster, pull up on the clutch pedal HARD, then depress it. Repeat as necessary until you hear it click. The "click" is the adjusting sprocket up under the dash (on the top of the clutch pedal), going one tooth tighter which is going to move the throw out bearing closer to the fingers on the pressure plate. This will give you more throw and more release on the clutch when you depress the pedal. Try that and see if it helps. If it doesn't, you may just have to get a replacement cable and be done with it.

Hey Apollo..... where in PSL do you live? I just moved here to Tennessee from PSL back in 2004. :scratchchin I lived off of Floresta about 2 blocks west of the elementry(sp?) school. :bigthumbsup

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO, T45 & T56 Transmission Systems

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool guys thanks, I'll give that a shot and see how it goes...is it possible for the cable to be adjusted as far as it can go and can't go any more?

I just remembered I've been shifting without the clutch (matching rpms to speed) and getting the gears to glide in real nice...is that bad for the transmission? lol...I know it's not an 18 speed eaton fuller but sometimes that clutch pedal is too much work...maybe I'm just lazy haha. I've only been doing it for about a week or so and stopped when I noticed this problem. :scratchchin

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Yes, you'll get to a point the cable won't adjust anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.