Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 260 V8 we just tore down after finding both head gaskets have been blown on it (my overheating problem).

Well now we just sent the block and everything off to shop for major major hot tanking and resurfacing.

We never had it apart before but all 8 cylinders have been sleeved to keep factory sizes after its last rebuild, original pistons/crank/cam ext all numbers matching.

Now here is my questions I'm hoping someone with experience with this could help me with.

I wanted to switch the 2 barrel Intake/Carb stock for this intake and carb I have on a nearby 302, its a edelbrock intake for street use and a 650 cfm carb.

1. How practical would it be to just swap them over, how prone to loading up/flooding would I be? would it be best to use the intake and get a smaller carb?

2. We kind of wanted to keep using stock internals but change the cam for more performance, what cam should I use, without getting really crazy and losing all my mpg? would a slightly more then stock 289 cam work good or what does someone recommend??

3. And last, what CHEAP headers are recommended for a engine like mine? we have dual exhaust/straight to the back with glasspacks already with the stock C4, we want most performance for little cost.

I need the right combo to get this little 260 freshly redone and alil peppier then before, what Carb/Intake/Cam combo would work best for this smaller bore ford small block?

We plan on throwing this motor back together next weekend so asmuch info as you can get to me while I'm browsing the internet and searching is appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Sounds like we're both tearing into our engines this weekend. Here are some thoughts:

1. The carb and intake should swap over. 650 is a bit big for a 289, much less a 260, so yeah, a smaller carb would be best. Or, you could just run the 650 until you save up for something smaller, and then put the 650 on eBay or Craigslist to get some return.

2. There are a lot of mild cams out there, and I am sure many will be just what you are looking for. The improved performance from the cam comes from the improvement in the engine's ability to breathe, so as long as you don't drive like maniac you shouldn't see a dip in MPG. Strokers, superchargers, taller rear gears, those will affect your mileage to varying degrees, but unless the cam is wild, you'll still be in control of how well your mileage turns out (there might be some debate on this, but this is my opinion).

3. Go with a set of Tri-Y headers. They will fit well and can be had cheap. I bought a cheap set and they fit fine, albeit tight on the bellhousing of my C4. Engine runs cooler and gas mileage and acceleration seemed to have improved, though I still have a 2100 carb. Oh, and a little advice: Cheap headers usually have cheap/crappy paint, so I advise you to repaint them before installing them, with some super high heat paint. Mine look like crap already, and pulling them off will suck but it's on my very long list of projects.

I can't believe your engine has been sleeved. I wonder if someone before you bored it over too far and then had no options when it was time for another rebuild? I've only heard of blocks being sleeved in extreme cases (numbers matching or rare vintage motors).

·
Registered
503 Posts
1. the intake/carb can be swapped over with no issues, but as Mizzou said the 650 is too much carb for a 260. There is a quick calculation to figure out how much cfm you need:

(cubic inch displacement) x (max rpm) x engine efficiency

so if you have a 260 cubic inch engine, with max rpm at 6000... your required cfm would be 447 even with a 99% efficiency (which isnt possible, yours is probably between 80-90%)

I would go for an Edelbrock 500cfm electric choke.. it has slightly more cfm than you need but 50cfm extra won't hurt and it will be a big improvement over stock 2bbl

2. an Edelbrock or comp cams mild cam will work just fine, you dont want anything past mild

this is the one im using:

289/302 EDELBROCK CAMSHAFT & LIFTER KIT PERFORMER PLUS FOR FLAT TAPPET.448/.472 | CJ Pony Parts

3. How cheap is cheap? Tri-Y headers (any make) are best for these engines because they greatly improve performance over stock manifolds, but also have little to no clearance issues. You can get a set of plain black painted ones for around $150 but they wont last long. Ceramic coated ones work much better and last longer because they keep the heat inside better. They go for around $250.

PERTRONIX TRI-Y HEADERS CERAMIC COATED 260/289/302 1964-1970 MUSTANG | CJ Pony Parts

I waited til these were on sale (they have sales almost every week starting thursday or friday) and got them for like 250ish

While you have the engine apart you should consider replacing other wear items such as piston rings, pushrods, and timing chain. The new camshaft should come with new lifters to match.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea thanks for the info guys its a nice help pushing me in the right direction, I'll pop on the 302 intake/carb untill i can buy the 500 CFM for later.

The entire block has been sleeved with its original pistons in there, I'm assuming whoever rebuilt it last wanted to keep it original cause its numbers matching, down to the bore size.

For cam something mild sounds nice, we just want it to really breath and show some power when its stepped on, instead of the standard performance

I was leaning away from Tri-Y headers but with all this recommendations I'll go for it.

I wont be able to afford the ceramic but if I painted its ok to just paint over them with what? or what needs to be done to them??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts