Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just left the test site and the car failed on the NO...Anyone have some quick fixes that might help. Everything else was in limits. I have not had any problems and everything is CARB certified that has been installed. The guy at the test site said the EGR might be sticking or that the exhaust was to large for the the car. This is my last year in CA so I just need to get this test completed and I'm home free.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just found the vacuum line to the EGR was cracked...Does anyone know if this would be causing the problem?

Can't seam to be able to get a replacement so I'm going to add some vacuum hose over the tube and see if that seals it. Anyone know were to purchase new tubes for the EGR and smog system...I hate to use old stuff from the junk yard since it will be just as brittle as the current one.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I'd just use some quality vacuum hose from a part store.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Yup, a few feet, and maybe three tees, and you can duplicate the scheme.
EGR lowers the Oxides of Nitrogen.
You can also patch the brittle lines with some heat shrink tubing.
I've read on here, that the parts stores sell the proper tubing to rebuild those vacuum harnesses, but I've yet to find a clerk who could show me some...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help...I plan on conducting the repairs when I get back home. Will pass on the out come of the sniffer test.

Warren

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
man im gonna be screwed come may when i need inspected :( they wont even do the test because no cats... i hate PA. i wish i lived in florida, i hear that if your horn blows and your doors shut, you pass!

G

·
That's pretty much how it work's in Louisiana too. If your car's driveable enough to get there you're pretty much set. They just check lights and flashers, when I had my saturn I passed with no horn.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
systronic said:
man im gonna be screwed come may when i need inspected :( they wont even do the test because no cats... i hate PA. i wish i lived in florida, i hear that if your horn blows and your doors shut, you pass!
Maybe you can borrow a catted H-pipe.
Or, you could just halve a couple of old junkyard cats, install 'em over your offroad pipe, and fake out the exhaust nazis on their visual test.:cool: I've heard of cars passing the sniffer here in Ohio, without cats. They used to check for 'em before they'd let your car on their misused dyno. Last time I went through, they didn't do the visual, however. I'm thinking that they may have tightened up the sniffer standards. Oh well, it's moot because they've ended the e-check here. Dunno what kind of vaseline we'll need for whatever they replace it with.:smoke:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i DO have the original stock pipe with cats. but why on earth would i want to waste that time once a year. nice thing in PA is the 5000 mile exempt sticker. keep it under 5000 miles traveled per year (AKA odometer fraud) and you can get an exempt sticker. lucky for me i know some people... hopefully they pull thru. if not, the stang might have to pimp the old stickers for a while... like the winter beater...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.