Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1987 5.0 LX coupe and I need to replace the tie rods and ball joints. Does anyone have a diagram on how to replace ball joints and tie rods? Or even a link or website I could go to. I've never done this before and any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
I read the article concerning the balljoint replacement. I believe there is some general information to get you started. However, I did take notice of these quotes:

"Grab a BFH and bang the spindle until the tie-rod pops. Again, an airhammer will make short work of it. Remove the nut and pull the tie-rod out and let it hang."

"If your balljoint was pretty bad, it probably already fell out. If not, grab the BFH again and remove the balljoint by banging it out."

This may very well work. I'm not a big fan of using Big F***ing Hammers during automotive work. On occasion they may have it's place. However, there are proper tools for tie rod end removal and the removal of balljoints. No need risking unnecessary damage to you ride when a proper tool could have been used. I would recommend using a tie rod puller for the tie rod ends and a balljoint press to remove the old balljoints. Just take your time while working through the project. I'm sure you would be able to accomplish the mods.

I included some reference photos off the web. I've used both of these tools from Autozone on my '88 and '06 GT. Worked great both times

Just my two cents...

Attachments

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I agree, big hammers and cars don't mix... :hihi:

·
Registered
40 Posts
go to AutoZone.com - Get in the Zone! on the left side click repair info, then when the next page appears, click the link that is under neath the car, DON'T CLICK THE CAR.
then it will ask you for a year then make then model, then it will come up with all sorts of stuff, like wheels, suspension, steering,ect. it's a great site for free, has break down photo's install stuff and removal stuff. Good Luck. Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.