Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 64 1/2 Mustang and I have to do a tune up. Can anyone recommend what to change and to buy other than the oil filter, spark plugs, air filter, and spark plug cables. Thank you in advance for all your help.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to AFM! I moved this to the Classic Tech section to get you some help. Thanks for joining!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
582 Posts
oil
oil filter
air filter
plug wires
plugs
points, condenser or Ignitor points replacement system
rotor
distributor cap
If the car is new to you, best to check brake shoes and wheel cylinders, drain and change radiator water and anti freeze, check all belts and hoses and replace if in doubt.
Best,
Al

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
You will also need a timing light and tach/dwell meter if you are using points. These should be considered an investment, as you will use them many times in the future.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Chilton or Haynes repair manual is a must and it will pay for itself the first time you use it. Which engine do you have. I have a 170 ci. engine and set the timing with a vacum gage. Like Joe said a dwell/tach meter is a must with points. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello NYMustang007,
FIRST - -Welcome to the family and lots of luck with the car.

The people have already given you some GREAT advice and
I figure I can only add 2 small items to the list.
1. - A Fire Extinguisher - -to be kept with the car at all times. This is NOT to
freak you out or make you nervous BUT many of the shows we attend will
not even allow you in with out an extinguisher. Trust me - -you will likely NEVER
need one - -BUT they are great to have around.
The other item I would change is the PVC valve (in the valve cover).

If you will be working on the car a lot - -a set of fender covers would be a nice
gift from a friend or family member.
Use the right tools and always consider SAFETY as a priority.

When you start the tune-up if you have questions - -stop and just post - -there are a LOAD of great responders that will help/

Good Luck

Print DAd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts