Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice on how to remove a broken bolt (stud) off the bellhousing. It's one of the bolts that holds the starter, I was able to remove the starter, but the bolt is still attached.

G

·
Well you will have too drill it out and or use a easy-out to remove bolt. also you may have to retap the hole too..

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
There's no room, I think the easiest on yourself would be to drop the transmission so you can drill it out straight and punch out the remaining pieces.

If it were up to me, Ford should have designed the bell housing with studs like on brake rotors.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
could you get in there with a 90 degree drill ? is the piece big enough that you can weld a nut on the end of it and bring it out ? Usually once the head is broken off the rest of the bolt comes out pretty easily . maybe you can use a pick to turn it out . I have to remove broken bolts ALL the time at work . pita sometimes .

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
GhostDog 5.0 said:
If it were up to me, Ford should have designed the bell housing with studs like on brake rotors.
...or just made it so the bolts are facing straight down, like on g.m. V8s. I guess in the 1962 Ford lineup, that upper bolt was more accessable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.