Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a small issue with my ‘stang. It seemed to be running fine on Friday of last week, I needed to take a long trip to see my parents (they live 300+ miles away from me) About half way through the journey I had to stop for gas, I stuck in some 95 RON (that’s the same as 91 RON over there in the USA.) Seemed to be ok then I entered some road works and the speed limit dropped to 50MPH the car was fine, then when I went to accelerate after the road works and the car stuttered and lost a bit of power then I heard a popping noise from the exhaust and had a drop in power. I had to push down quite far on the throttle pedal to get the damn thing to accelerate. It then proceeded to do this all weekend it was worse in the 1000 – 1700 rpm area, on my journey back last night I ran down the 91 (95 uk) then stuck 93 (98 uk) in it as I thought maybe the petrol was a bit crappy. So far it seems to be ok but I still get the odd popping noise and a brief hesitation and the engine runs quite rough when its warmed up.

I only cleaned my MAF and TB about 3 months ago I also changed my Fuel filter at the same time. I’ve tried a 30min throttle mapping reset trick but nothing seems to have changed it. I’ve checked the spark plug leads but they seem to be on ok and not loose, I brought the jba power leads about 6 months ago and fitted them then, I still have my stock ones in the garage, shall I stick the stock ones back on?
I have no Check engine light lit, or any DTC codes from checking with the tuner. Has anyone come across this before or any advice?

The most annoying thing is that my wife to be brought me new sct tuner from bama from American muscle for my birthday but I’m unable to upload it as this thing has started. I had an old old old sct tune from when I purchased the car a few years ago in Florida. But I stuck it back to stock with the stock throttle body about 2 months ago as the BBK throttle body I had was more trouble than it was worth.

So if anyone can help me out as this popping and hesitation is driving me crazy! I did think it maybe an idea to change my plugs as I’m still using the stock motorcraft plugs and they now have 42k on them. I know they are supposed to do 100k, but yeah right, whatever... lol

All my mods are listed in my sig is there anything there that could be causing this?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sounds like you may have purchased some fuel with water in it. The first thing I would try is to put some fuel additive that will help disipate the water. Try and run through this tank of gas as quickly as possible. Them fill up with some known good gas.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Had a similar situation with mine,turned out to be a couple of things, Cheap gas was the first. My car is tuned for 93 octane and I could only get 91 where I was at. Instant ping on acceleration. That took another full tank of 93 octane to clear up. 2nd I had a bad spark plug wire that would cause even the good stuff to cough and stutter. The wire end in the coil pak was all corroded and was shorting out. One other thing,if you have cleaned the air filter and sprayed that red stuff all over iit cclean the MAF sensor again. Take it out spray it leberally with cleaner and replace. People have a tendency to go way overboard with the red stuff.
The mechanic I go to told me that if the problrm comes and goes its usually electrical,if its constant its mechanical...generally speaking.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Since you put your Stang back to Stock the need for a higher Octane Gas is'nt there. Did the problem start after you got the Gas? was it fine befor? if it started after you got the Gas I'd blame it on the Gas. As mentioned I'd put a additive in the Gas, mabey it has water in it
Usually a Popping Sound and Loss of Power is Electrical though.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
It definitely sounds like water in the gas. Check out the other possibilities to be sure though. If you have an ohmmeter check each plug wire to be sure one hasn’t gone open. Inspect the coil HV towers and the plugs too. Another outside possibility is a cruded up/faulty fuel injector. I’d definitely dump something in the gas that’s meant to disperse water and clean injectors. Try cleaning the MAF sensor too if you have an "oiled" type air filter.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(Update)

ok so its still doing it and I've nearly used a full tank of v-power (just under a quarter left), I checked all the hoses and tubes none appear to be leaking. So I have ordered a new coil and spark plugs I'm going to fit them on with my old O.E. ignition leads as i know they work, And see how that goes. I got over night delivery so I should have the parts I ordered sometime tomorrow (fingers crossed) I'm gunna stop off on the way home and grab a bottle of fuel injection cleaner and dump it in the tank with another full tank of gas (93).

Thank you for all your help and assistance I'll let you all know how it turns out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just very quickly would an open EGR valve give the same symptoms? and is there anyway to clean this valve and make sure its working correctly?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
A stuck open EGR valve would make for a very rough idle and possible stalling. It would also throw a code as the PCM monitors flow through that component. Hopefully what you’re planning with the ignition will work, as a faulty coil or plug wire (or cracked plug) could conceivably produce such symptoms, but it could also be that a piece crap may’ve got caught in a fuel injector. When you changed your fuel filter were you very careful about cleanliness, especially in the down-stream direction?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was very clean when I changed my fuel filter I cleaned the pipes both side with a lint free cloth as the old Fuel filter i took off was nasty, when I tipped it up after I took it off the fuel that came out was a very dark colour. I'm going to fit the plugs and coil in about an hour as they have just turned up.

I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok so Update, I installed the plugs and it was a little better still sounded rough on idle when warmed up so i changed the leads and the coil pack runs much better better acceleration took it on the free way and it blasted up to 100 nws. however the rough idle was still there and at 1500 rpm to 2000 I get a "tingk tingk" noise every second. its not an engine noise as it would be faster due to engine speed. It sounds odd as I can hear it clear as day in the car. I still have no check engine light or wrench light. I still have after 500 variable miles of driving a P1000 code saying that all egr values not complete. The plugs where a nice rusty brown colour, no fouling or light areas and no black deposits, so I don't think I have a head gasket blow thru or a unseated valve.

I think it maybe the EGR valve is jammed shut, I have ordered a new EGR valve and when it comes in I'm gonna take everything off to do with the EGR valve and give all the pipes a check over, re-seat and clean. I have stuck in a bottle of STP fuel system cleaner so I'll see how that goes too.

did notice that someone else had posted a kind of similar thing to what i have after filling up at a free-way service station. i wonder if its just ****** fuel still in there.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK so I fitted the EGR valve and a new purge valve,I also cleaned the TB and MAF again just to make sure it wasn't those. They final came through the post as I've been waiting ages for the Customs to release it. So its seems to be running so much better now. I did a test on the old EGR valve and it seems to have jammed open, however its was blowing out everywhere, through the top of the whole module! so I think its was properly ******.

It seems to run lovely, no more "tink tink tink" however I did get a code P0106 when I run it the first time after fitting the valve, but still no CEL, which was odd. I checked under the hood only to find I'd left a vac hose off. Put that back on and cleared the codes and it hasn't come back, I am still getting the p1000 code that never seems to go away regardless of how many drives I do. I stuck on the race tune that I got and the thing is a monster now, sooo much better than the last sct tune I got, "Bama guys you rock!"

I also uploaded the performance tune yesterday and that seem quite good to, that would be better for me as a this car is a daily driver. I drove it doesn't seem like there is hesitation or missing any more and the noises have stopped, I hope I have cured this, as its been driving me insane! TBH I'm still not convinced I hope I haven't just patched over a bigger issue.

Now that the engine is quieter I have noticed that after driving for 40-50 miles the fuel pump is quite noisy, should I change that? as I have read on here it can give some issues. But what puzzles me is that after all these issues I never got a CEL at any time. very very weird.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I'd try changing the Plug Wires:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did change the leads I stuck oem ford ones back on and they are all fine. Well i thought I'd solved this but driving to work this morning and the tink , pink noise came back. :( this is driving me crazy......

any ideas silly or sensible would be appreciated as I'm at my wits end :( :( :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts