Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I love my v6 mustang it was given to me by my parents as a hs graduation gift i guess. Anyways Ive done a few mods cold air intake (stack racing) throttle body spacer(stack racing) taylor street thunder spark plug wires and an SLP loud mouth muffler delete off a gt500. Anyways I want more performance Im going to get an SCT tuner and I needed to know where else to go and what to get. American muscle is the best place ive seen so far. Any other things I could do that are inexpensive. Im a broke college kid ha:D:D:D

·
Registered
704 Posts
Welcome! Not sure how much that CAI will do you for you. Most people will tell you to get a JLT with the tuner. Other then that most stuff costs more. You could go with gears that would give you the next most noticable incress

·
Registered
49 Posts
Gears are a good mod to go with the tuner if you have an auto id go with 4.10 and man. 3.73 it will you get you up and going quick it doesn't add hp but you will feel the difference.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i would get gears but im afraid id lose mpg. I have the CAI and the spacer and i love it i can feel a little extra hp. the exhaust sounds wicked and awesome. i guess the tuner is a must im kinda looking for a deeper tone as well will headers work?

·
Registered
142 Posts
As a fellow broke college student, I know what you mean by not having much money. Depending on how much you run your stang (Track or street), new gears would do the trick. I haven't done that to my 2000 V6 because I love my gas mileage and I don't race it as much as I'd like. But I re-did my ignition with a new coil, plugs, and wires and it feels like a new car. The CAI will do a little, but the tune will really make your stang come alive. The CAI will help too with this new tuner. I'm saving up for the BAMA off AM. Best of luck to you and your stang!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks man and i had a very bad wreck and almost died so im mostly doing this to make my car more fun to drive. race some and maybe pick up a few girls while im at it ha. I have a 2006 mineral grey mustang with the quarter window louvers pony package. premium with leather. getting some chrome gt wheels here soon hopefully. I might get some headers that will help open up some horse power and have a deeper exhaust tone. anything else i could do since im on a strict budget

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Im not farmiliar with your CAI, but if you would have came to This Forum FIRST and did some Research you would have seen that 99% of the Members here go with a JLT CAI and SCT Tuner Combo from American Muscle and with it got Free Tunes for Life, GREAT Tunes and a Great Combo:bigthumbsup
For Gears I'd go woth 373's, 410's are GOOD for Racing and for Short Drives but Not Good for Thruway Driving or Trips. The Throttle Body Spacer was a Waste Of Money.
If I were You, I'd ditch your CAI (even though you've already spent money) and get the JLT CAI SCT Tuner Combo from AM.
Then not for Preformance but for Sound and Looks I'd do Duals.....and dont forget to DO ALL 93 Octane Tunes and get the 93 Race Tune from BAMA,,,,,,then get back tp us on how much you like My Thoughts:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Sheesh Ron, you're harsh:shigrin

I too will pile on to the replace that cai with a better one and get yourself an SCT w/ bama tunes from american muscle. I like the JLT but all the big brands are close to the same.

It's been said that some cheap cold air intakes can actually be worse than the stock box and hurt your performance.

As for the gears,(4.10 is what I like) they will hurt your highway MPG there is no way around that. But they wont hurt it badly at all and they will actually raise your city mpg. And it's a huge gain over the stock 3.31. With my GT, I get about 24mpg (according to the digital display, never got scientific with it, dont really care lol) on the highway sometimes slightly less. That's at about 65-70mph. Which is about the fastest I usually cruise at for long periods of time.

The headers will help a bit with performance and sound.

If you have no emission testing, running an off road X pipe will help with sound and will probably get you a bit of performance.

Underdrive pullies will get you a few hp.

Some show mods, stripes, scoops, different mirrors, chin spoilers, spoilers, you can do the interior as well. The possibilities are endless.

Keep looking through that AM website, you'll find something you like!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Oh sorry! I thought you had dual exhaust. Yes you want that too:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree with everything everyone has said mostly. :p Like the other people, I don't know exactly what kind of CAI you have, but you should definitely ditch it and get the JLT combo with the Tuner. I bought a $56 CAI off ebay for my first upgrade and that was a HUGE mistake... It kept tripping my check engine light and really just caused a lot of problems. I finally broke down and bought a JLT from American Muscle, and I love it! It requires a tune, so obviously you need the tuner, but a CAI that requires a tune is going to give you more gain anyway. :gringreen

I do disagree that the throttle body spacer was a waste of money.. My dad has an 04 Chevy Avalanche, and he bought a throttle body spacer for his car and we both noticed a bit of difference in performance after he installed it. And it was only like $20, so no big deal. :p

And yes getting dual exhaust will give you some more power, and give you a much better sound for sure! In fact I just installed mine 2 days ago, and I am loving it. It sounds absolutely amazing outside the car, and it actually kind of wakes up the CAI, sense it is pulling more air through the engine, and not restricting it like the stock Y-pipe. :p

So good luck, and look around AM site, you will find something for sure. :D

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hello

:welcome :gringreen:gringreen:gringreen

+1 on the ditch and upgrade for your CAI, AM combo is the best value and you WILL like the change. College takes a lot of $$$ so you will need to save up and get what you want. I would definitely say go with duals, the sound is awesome! Glad you are now part of the community. There is a wealth of knowledge that can be tapped into. We all love to brag about our cars. Hope you can get some pics of your car and share with us!

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Stack Racing CAI is tiny compared to the JLT....put your Stack on Ebay and recoup some money. You definitely want a large JLT, Ford Racing or C&L CAI to go with the tuner !

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Throttle body spacers have been proven to be worthless for these types of cars. Hell even AMStanger from american muscle has said it and that was when someone was thinking of buying one from them.

Don't waste money on a TB spacer :nono:eek:r a throttle body:nono: either. You will not gain any performance from these. The TB spacer is supposed to sound and look cool though, so if you want it for that, more power to you. I think the TB spacers work on older non fuel injected cars??? Anyone can confirm???

Stay away from electric superchargers or any "chip" that claims big HP and costs little money. Remember, you get what you pay for. There's no cheap HP out there past a real cai/tuner.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've also heard from alot of people that different gears would help. They say 3.73s if it's just for street driving and 4.10s if you do alot of drag racing. And the JLT CAI and SCT tuner is the way to go!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i mean so far i can tell a little difference but im gonna get the jlt intake here soon. i found a good deal on an sct tuner for $180 and im gonna jump on that deal. Ill go with the stack racing intake for now and ill get the jlt. I would get some gears but im worried bout my mpg going down. I need all the mpg i get ha. Im going with pypes headers here soon as well. I had a guy back into me the other day and im waiting on his insurance company to hurry the hell up!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Welcome, unc.

I had a V6 S197 for a few years. I learned a lot about what is and isn't useful for horsepower and mileage.

Dual exhausts are wonderful on a six, give that lovely musical sound. Having two pipes coming out in back balances that look, as well. I was as happy with my (FRPP) dual conversion as with any mod I ever did; however, duals don't do much, if anything for horsepower and mileage on a normally aspirated car. I observed that after my conversion, and I had it on authority from an engineer who worked on the six's exhaust for the Ford design team. For sheer driving-pleasure improvement, the duals are a must, but ... I had a Bama tune with no CAI at the time of the change: Bama said, "No alteration of the tune required". There's a lesson there.

A custom email tune from a major tune-maker accounts for eighty percent or more of the 18 or so horsepower from a CAI/tune combo. You can believe that the tune is worth it. You can decide if the CAI is worth it when you look at the dollars-per-horsepower calculations. More properly, I guess, the horsepower-per-dollar numbers.

Not often that someone mentions wheel-tire size as a decremental add-in for miles-per-gallon. Wide and fat ones do look good, but every increment in size yields a decrement in mileage. Heavier, wider, stickier, all drag down the economy numbers. If you are way up there in the horsepower scale it might not matter so much to you, but narrower, higher sidewall, harder rubber, higher inflation pressures all make for better mileage.

I believe most of your genial informants will say they "noticed some improvement" after a change, whether or not their butt-dynos have ever been calibrated. I know there is a scientifically established thing called cognitive dissonance that drives nearly everyone to disregard evidence that a choice was wrong, and to over-emphasize evidence supporting a choice. No one wants to admit foolish decisions.

I did before-after eighth-mile drag tests with conditions as similar as I could manage. They seemed to show a no-tune CAI was worth a tenth or so at the end of the strip. Same CAI with a tune gave about three-and-a-half tenths improvement. Pays you money and makes you choice.

For my part I have backed off the Bama tunes (I have them for both my FRPP-CAI'd cars) on the street. With the FRPP tunes on "Bullitt"-style CAIs, they are 50-state legal for the street, which is important to me. On the strip, they are a tenth or so slower than the Bama Race tunes. Such is life. The strip is not the street. I ran both cars with Bama Race tune on the street with no problems. Except it was too much fun to press the narrow pedal, and it was illegal in California. So I changed. I do put them on (they fit just fine over the FRPP tunes) for track, strip, and sometimes for autocross work.

Any road, I still prefer the V6-with-duals sound to just about any other, including the V8 rumble. I also prefer to use at least a little science in making decisions, so I tend to tune out the bloviators, even though they are likely good, well-intentioned guys. Maybe they have had their butt-dynos calibrated, Who knows? On the Internet they can say anything they want without serious consequences.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Throttle body spacers have been proven to be worthless for these types of cars. Hell even AMStanger from american muscle has said it and that was when someone was thinking of buying one from them.

Don't waste money on a TB spacer :nono:eek:r a throttle body:nono: either. You will not gain any performance from these. The TB spacer is supposed to sound and look cool though, so if you want it for that, more power to you. I think the TB spacers work on older non fuel injected cars??? Anyone can confirm???

Stay away from electric superchargers or any "chip" that claims big HP and costs little money. Remember, you get what you pay for. There's no cheap HP out there past a real cai/tuner.

Yes. A spacer works on carbureted engines because it basically increases the size of the air chamber.

Basically, a spacer makes the carb larger because it increases the amount of space AFTER the air and fuel is mixed. Because of this, the engine runs a little leaner, thus gaining a small amount of power.

However, spacers do NOT work on fuel injected engines because the MAF already accounts for the increased space. Not to mention all of the sensors that detect a lean condition and correct by adding more fuel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts