Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey just bought a 88 lx 5.0 5spd been wanting a fox for a long time finally got one!:) ..but it has 200 000 miles on it but i was wondering if there would be any point in doing any performance upgrades to it ie intake, heads .. it sounds strong still (no engine noise or smoke) .would it be worth it ? or should i just wait till it dies and start fresh with a nother motor with lower miles? thanks in advance

·
Registered
105 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get a rebuild. If it's claimed to have 200000 it might start smoking soon, or you might spin a bearing...throw a rod, etc. Just rebuild it before you start modding it. Fresh engine never hurts.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
88055.0 said:
hey just bought a 88 lx 5.0 5spd been wanting a fox for a long time finally got one!:) ..but it has 200 000 miles on it but i was wondering if there would be any point in doing any performance upgrades to it ie intake, heads .. it sounds strong still (no engine noise or smoke) .would it be worth it ? or should i just wait till it dies and start fresh with a nother motor with lower miles? thanks in advance
Muy congrats on the acquisition.:thumbup Life is too short to drive a boring car!!! You could deliver pizzas in it!:winks Darn near bulletproof driver. Cheap and easy to fix. If you really beat on it, and increase the horsepower significantly, you can expect to break stuff. But it's cheap and easy to fix...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
if you want a little performance out of now, maybe stick with bolt-ons, like pulleys, intake manifolds, headers, CAI kit, etc. that way you can just pull those suckers off for the new motor if need be

·
Registered
861 Posts
I agree with the rebuild, completely.

Tear that motor out and give yourself a fresh start. There is no telling what condition it may be in. And the LAST thing you want to do is blow your investment when a piston shoots through the hood.

·
Registered
918 Posts
If it is running strong, no strange noises, and doesn't smoke, it's very likely had a shortblock rebuild at some point in the last 200,00 miles. When dealing with cars that are almost twenty years old, it's usually impossible to know the car's history. My '85 has at least 250,000 on the clock near as I can tell from reading between the lines on it's carfax, but the engine has obviously been freshened up not too long ago.

If you are on a tight budget, like me, I think it makes a lot of sense to buy things like a good set of heads, upgrade the intake, maybe some headers, and other things that can be transferred to a new shortblock in the future.

My car runs real good right now, but I'm saving for a 347 shortblock which I will use my heads, carb, intake and exhaust upgrades with.

Now, if you are bucks up, and can afford it, sure buy a whole new motor now, but I doubt if that's the case. I know if I wanted to buy the whole engine that I want as a turnkey setup it would cost $7k-$8k, not in my budget.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.