Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2004 Mustang v6 3.9 liter engine. 40th anniversary series. I currently have done the following to my car.

• Cold air intake
  • Magna Flow Exhaust
  • Super chipped.
I was wondering what I should do to try and hit at least the HP or torque needed to stand par with any v6 our there at the moment.

I was thinking about doing the following:

• Change the gearing
  • Under drive pulley
  • Performance spark plugs
Any ideas what I should do? And Where I could get good deals / the right stuff for my car? I'm a rookie at the car thing I mean I know how to change my oil, brakes, Fluids, Install a Cold air intake, A turbo and stuff But I in a sense want to make this car a sleeper so no Supercharger/Turbo for me. Any body have an idea?

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
Welcome to the parking lot!

i wouldent worry about under drive pulleys.

gears are awsome. go 373 w t loc.

if u got some pockets for gas. go 4.10.

if you ask 4.10 or 3.73 youll get 500,000 different answers. so pick one and pull the trigger!

·
Super Moderator
39,982 Posts
:wavey:waveyWelcome to the site:happydance::happydance:plenty of great info in the V6 tech section,sounds like you are off to a good start.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cool, so under drive wont do much huh? Hmm Okay.

I'll go with the gears this month then how about the next form of business? Like best v room for my buck ?

I love acceleration.

I do the following,

1st Gear to 2nd 40 MPH
2nd Gear to 3rd 80MPH
3rd Gear to 4Th 105MPH

After that its just slow as a snail.

Is there a way to make the car shoot faster like instead of 40 MPH I go 45 then 85 etc? Or am I screwed?

Side note is it hard to install new gears?

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
udps free up a few hp..but cost so freaking much!

gears are a piece of cake to install... its meaureing them and pulling them and aligning them thats left to the pros.... have a shop do it.

250-350 bucks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm, Well How about other modifications? Like ones I can do. without going into the internals of a car. I'm looken for a max of 250 a month for mods. Im kinda hooked and want to do something now within this month you must know how that feels :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going out for like an hour or so be back soon unleash the advice if you wish and thank you!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Get a CAI with a tuner you will get about 40HP extra from it. The UDP things are not worth it for what you spend on them, or you can just get a supercharger.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you don't want to go the s/c or turbo route after you upgrade your gears, you might want to think about some ceramic headers and/or or long tubes with a catted mid-pipe to go with your Magna flows. :bigthumbsup Personally, if the funds were there, I'd go with a s/c as it'll give you the most bang (i.e. HP) for your $$$ buck $$$.

·
Registered
323 Posts
New ones with an intercooler usually run about 4K - 4.5K. Sometimes you can find a full kit on sites like ebay or craigslist for less.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Everyone giving him "ideas" that i think he already said he doesn't want , kinda funny lol. i mean if you want to make your car faster up top and you dont feel like your quick enough, try losing weight on the car. aluminum driveshaft and flywheel will help u get some hp all arcoss your rpms. Take all the crap out your trunk and if you dont need your backseats take them out. you coulld always put them back in if you need to. plus AM sells the delete kit so you could make it look nice back there. Theres other ways to make your car lighter best person to ask about that would prolly be shiner. UDP are expensive but i love mine. just depends how much you want to put down on your car.
Other than that just get the Gears and T/loc. Also its basically go with 3.73 if u have a manual and 4.10 if u have an auto. Unless your planning to drop a torbo in there or s/c which you seem to have stated your not then you shouldnt go any higher then 3.73. You could always get a custom cam aswell or port and polish upper and lower intake. either one would give u decent gains. (i think the polish is alot cheaper)
After that invest on your suspension keeping that rear end strong and the tires on the floor so you could go out and buy a nos kit :bigthumbsup. That way if the mods weren't enough or if you want a badass track time you'll have your little boost to help you out a bit. Hope i anwsered ur question. GL!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow thanks, Yea was looking to buy some gears today was looking for mainly 4.10 anyone have any deals that they know of ? :scratchchin I was also thinking of changing the spark plugs/wiring maybe there a kit out there? The UDP is prolly the 3rd thing I would do.

Basically I want to be able to stand up to a GT stock of my year and any V6 Mustang out there.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Basically I want to be able to stand up to a GT stock of my year and any V6 Mustang out there.
not to sound like a broken record, but without a s/c or turbo, or nitrous, that will be very very hard to do.
boltons just wont get you there.

f/i doesnt necessarily ruin the sleeper effect imho.
udp's are nice, but dont expect much from them, maybe 2-3 rwhp.

also, try taking a look at SSM's h/c/i setups, aka "powerpacks".

·
Registered
227 Posts
How many miles are on your car? It may be time to do some mid to long-term maintenance. For example, upgrading shocks, struts, change bushings to poly. I switched to full synthetic oil and my car runs smoother and is a needle width cooler on the gauge. Sometimes the small stuff adds up. Gears are great, just remember the lower the gear (higher numerically) the less top end you will have so you will need more hp to compensate. I do like the SSM's powerpacks. Since my car is a daily driver and does roadtrips, I need to see what how much it will hurt my mpg before making the change. My philosiphy is to build a strong base first. Port and polishing the heads and intake is a good idea. I started with a 66 coupe, so I did suspension and brakes first and the engine second. Dad's tuning did wonders on the ol' 289. OK, I'm rambling...

·
Registered
119 Posts
i was doing a little research on demon coil pack or whatever it is for your spark plugs to go into. and i hear it helps a bit and makes you gap your spark plugs higher for better accel and things like that. wires i would go with MSD since thats what i went with. There is also limewire i believe but i dont know much about those. Most GTs out on the street (im sorry to say this and i dont mean to make it sound like v6 can take on v8 blah blah bull that always goes around) cant drive or mostly they dont keep their car in tune well. So with a few bolts on a good tune and properly taking car of your car. i say you could stick with the gt. Plus like i said if you come arcoss one that is modded ( not saying you should be street racing but just in case) you could hit that little nos botton if you have one. they dont go for much.

Just clearing things up so people dont take it the wrong way -.- i love v8s. also love the v6. i believe they are both equal. period

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
^ i have that S/D coil...

99.99% of the time i completely forget it's even there.

also, it will take a lot more work than some bolt-on's and a tune-up to be at a GT's level.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright Tell me where I can find a good Supercharger, I pick the SC cause all I care about is 1/4 mile race not the 1/2 that I would go Turbo. I heard you can find some for like 1k? There called mini chargers idk.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.