Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to install a 180 thermostat to see if that will help with the pinging issue I have on the 93 setting (along with a few other things). I see that the factory thermostat is 195 and the current low and hi speed fan settings are 200 and 210. When I install the 180 thermostat should I set the low and hi settings to 180 and 190?

·
Registered
309 Posts
With those mods, you should not have a pinging issue. Is the SCT tune a generic over the phone tune. I got my tune over the phone and had a very slight ping under 2K rpms. I just went into the SCT tuner, backed the timing off 2 degrees for 0-2000rpms and it helped a lot. I run 93 octane gas as well. Putting a lower thermostat is treating the symptom, not the cause. Back the timing off and you won't even feel the performance difference and the pinging should go away. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
102 Posts
in regards to having it set at 93 octane.....i have a diablo tuner and i dont see where to set it for a certain octane. any suggestions???

·
Registered
309 Posts
With my SCT, there is no "93 octane Tune" that you can pick. Most places that you buy a tuner from has a good idea with a list of mods how much they can advance the timing and fuel. Thats why I call it a generic 93 octane tune. It's kind of guess and check for them but they are usually close. Thats why I only had to back the timing off from 0-2000 rpm's and mine was good.

·
Registered
102 Posts
oohhh...ok. because i have the race tune that came in the tuner installed and i use 89 octane.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Tune

oohhh...ok. because i have the race tune that came in the tuner installed and i use 89 octane.
Read your manual, but I suspect I already know what it says...

You need to use Premium fuel if you are going to use their canned performance tune.

Some of them also have a tune for regular fuel - check your particular situation. You will probably have ping and issues if you run the premium fuel tune on regular gas.

·
Registered
102 Posts
im sure youre right. will do! going back to 93 octane.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.