Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My names joey and on saterday i will be the proud owner of a 89' mustang gt 5.0
My plans for the car are to totally tear it down and start from the ground up hopefully hitting my 400+ wheel goal.
Here is my rough parts list........

Engine:
Stock 302 block
Eagle specialty's forged 347 rotating assembly
Trick flow twisted wedge 170 heads

Air:
Trickflow track heat intake Honed to 90mm
Edelbrock pro flo xt 90mm TB
Granatelli CAI
Granatelli 90mm MAF meter

Drivetrain:
Lentech street terminator (I know its overkill)
Ford Racing Aluminum drive shaft
Superior 4:10 gears
Moser 5x 4.5 axels

Exhaust:
BBK long tubes
CAT delete
Spintech Pro bullets
Custom X pipe
4.00 exhaust

Suspension:
ReDo all front end bushings
Eibach drag springs
Billstien shocks

Fuel supply:
BBK Fuel Rails
Holley blu pump
BBK Regulator

This is just a rough list so please give me your opinions on it............
This will be a 2 year project and most of my money will be going into it.........
The guy i am buying the car from said that it has a 5-speed but there is a crack in the tranny?? And that they cant get it to start so they put a new starter on and it still wont turn over?? Anyone else have a problem like this??

G

·
Welcome to AFM! That's quite a well thought out plan! Let me move this to the 5.0 section for you so you can get some input from the 5.0 guys and gals.
Thanks for joining!
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
that things prob gonna be beastly. good luck with it man. oh and also, i know the season ended a while back...... go mavs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just alittle bit more too add.........

Ignition:
MSD pro billet ready to run Dizzy
MSD Digital 6-plus CD ignition box
Taylor cable 10.40 wires
NGK V-Power Plugs

Power Adders:
NOS BIGshot kit 250 shot.

Cooling:
Miezere electric water pump
4-core Radiator

Engine:
BIG custom grind hydraulic roller cam
FordRacing Hydraulic roller lifters

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the 5.0's are there computers hard to tune?? Im wondering wether our not i have the free range of going with just about any cam i want our if i need to look at computer compatible ones instead?? Im new to efi so please enliten me....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok everyone i got my car on sunday and i was told it had a new starter and that the guy started it1 time and drove it to the store and it wouldnt start again....... I got it home and tried to jump it off and it sounded like a grinding noise for a few seconds and then just spinning...... So i figured it was just a cheap rebuilt starter and the bendix was broke so when i was under there to take it out i noticed the bolts were only hand tight holding it on and i could jiggle the starter and the bolt hole was stripped so i got it of and bench tested it and it worked fine...... That got me wondering and i looked around a little more and there is a freekin crack in the bellhousing and its going to the shop sunday and getting repaired so maybe i can drive it for once :smilie Has anyone else had this problem and how did it happen ??? Cant find anything on it...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Didn't he tell you the trans was cracked?!? He probably meant bell housing I would think... No big deal.. You'd be surprised that a lot of people don't even realize they have a crack... 30 bucks and Change the clutch while the trans is out and rear main seal on crank while your in there...

Question truly is.. What does the flywheel look like after that grinding and slop in starter!?!? Ouch

4" exhaust?? Really??

Congrats on your new ride.. I'm sure once you get past this.. You'll love her for life..

I just finished my 4 year complete tear down.. 2 years is quick and I worked everyday after 10 hours at my real work haha but I work alone.. Just don't give up man. It's a long but rewarding road ahead.. You'll be a mustang master after it!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah lol 4" exhaust idk what the hell i was thinking when i typed that but i ment 3" and I plan on taking a year to collect all the parts and in the mean time just gt40p heads, explorer intake, smog pump + A/C delete, Headers, cam and CAI...... And yeah he told me it had a cracked trans and i asked him about it and he said he ment it was broken but i ended up trading a 86' camaro roller + engine for it so im not too upset. And do i really need to change the Clutch, Main seal for now????? Wasnt planning on doing all that but i kinda figured the flywheel was screwed so i will be replacing that. i am paying around 300 for the bell housing install and i only have about 360 to spend right now.......

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sorry, i didn't know you were paying to have it done. I don't pay for any labor.. Thats how I afford my fun parts ;)...

You don't have to do the clutch unless the mechanic tells you there's nothing left on it... But I would still do the rear main seal... It's 15 Seconds to pick it out(Watch the crank) and tap in a new one...

They leak quite often and are a b!tch to tear everything down for a $5 part...

If your replacing the flywheel then why pay for the bellhousing now? Your going to have to go back in... I suggest doing all this yourself.. You will learn a great deal... and the T5 trans weighs nothing... You can do it yourself...

A bellhousing is like 20-60 bucks used... Keep your 360 and get all the parts you need... then go in and do it... It's not hard, I promise.. :yup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know i useually do all my work too i just want to have a tranny guy give me a oppinion on it and if its still good our not....... It clicks going from nuetrial to the right and then when i go back to first there is a hard clicking sound?? and in reverse when i push the shifter back up to nuetrial it feels like grinding so i dont want to dump money into this tranny and then have to go buy a new one..... I also can not find a bell housing anywere it turns out that the people at autozone ordered me a bellhousing spacer FML I new it was too good to be true when they said 45.00 for a lakewood bellhousing :nono: so i got my money back today and there is nobody in the dallas area i can find that has one, I have checked all the major hot rod shops and junk yards so i am just going to have mine welded back together and have the stripped bolt hole helicoild and idk wether our not my tranny guy will change my main seal for me our not??

·
Registered
292 Posts
Welcome to AFM! :bigthumbsup

Haven't been in this site for many months so welcome to all that I haven't welcomed! :D :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
I would stay away from Eagle as I had a bad experience with their crank. Also I have spoken with a couple of engine builders and they both prefer Scat products as they have less imperfections and easier to balance correctly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Soooooo....... 475$ later she is out of the transmission shop and back on the rode, My transmission guy said that someone had replaced the clutch and didnt torque the bellhousing bolts down and they vibrated out causing the bell housing to crack..... There were only 3 bolts in the bell housing:happyhapp It is extremely torque'y and i love it i have owned a third gen camaro, ford lightning, dakota r/t, and have drovin a z06 for along time and this car has ALOT more torque down low!!!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I couldt find the button to start a thread in classifieds but i would be willing to trade my very nice GT body kit with a BRAND NEW COBRA rear bumper for a lx body kit. PICKUP ONLY!! Really dont want to ship it would be pretty pricey.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi all i havent posted in a while but my car still set's in the garage all stock with a mound of part's to go on it piled up beside it and now i am at the point were im looking for a cam again i was looking at the comp xe270 but alot of friends run it and there cars dont do very well bottom end wise i get them out of the whole with a stock engine and some unknown offbrand cam that was in my car when i bought it, SOO a friend told me too look into the NX264HR from comp and told me it would have alot more power down low like i am looking for and i cant for the life of me find a sound clip of a car with one........ ANYONE GOT A SOUND CLIP OF A NX264HR?????

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
So you get your friends out of the hole cause they have a 270HR cam? Well what do they have as far as combination?

So your still building a 347 right.....well a 264 will be on the rather small side. Remember a 347 will need more air and more fuel to make it's power.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The friend of mine i ran had the cam a explorer intake and some work done on the stock e7's and i pulled almost a car on him out of the whole, And i kinda stopped the 347 thing i decided i was gonna get a explorer intake, GT40p heads port them with a 65mm tb and some bolt on's, I ended up loosing my job and i dont get payed neer as much at my new one so i kinda had to drop the 347 idea..

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Well with a nice combo with the GT40's and if you are going to port them you could be knocking on the door to 300 horses. Make sure you upgrade the springs also.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does anyone know if the pacesetter, Flowtech, out Summit long tubes fit gt40p's?? Not gonna stick with them for long just need some cheepos to hold me over till i can get the $$ for BBK long tubes

1 - 20 of 23 Posts