Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I've been thinking about them for awhile and I'm not sure what wattage to use.
Does anyone have them with an Eleanor grille? I always drive with all four head lights on, I just don't want to blind everyone.
I've been told to use
55 watts for the outside and 35 watts for the fog lights.

Thanks...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well I don't know how much brighter the 55w really are vs. the 35w. Most claim they are brighter but the light output is really dependent on which bulb color you choose to run. If you run a 5000k-6000k light (more of a white light) the 55w will be brighter if you run a 8000k or brighter you start to loose the intensity of the light and gain more of the blueish/purple color of the light. You defiantly want to only run the 35w in the fog lights as the 55w generate a lot more heat and it being a small light it can cause damage to the light housing. Honestly 35w in both lights will be more light than you will ever need and less chance of heat damage to your lenses/housings. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I don't know how much brighter the 55w really are vs. the 35w. Most claim they are brighter but the light output is really dependent on which bulb color you choose to run. If you run a 5000k-6000k light (more of a white light) the 55w will be brighter if you run a 8000k or brighter you start to loose the intensity of the light and gain more of the blueish/purple color of the light. You defiantly want to only run the 35w in the fog lights as the 55w generate a lot more heat and it being a small light it can cause damage to the light housing. Honestly 35w in both lights will be more light than you will ever need and less chance of heat damage to your lenses/housings. Just my $0.02
Thanks.... I think i will go with the 5000K

·
Registered
14 Posts
5000k is a nice white w/ a slightly blueish tint for a very trained eye. 4300k is pretty white w/ the best light output but has a slight yellow tint to it... I've gone all the way up to 6500k w/o seeing too much blue/purple. IMO 6500k is perfect b/c I love the blueish tint.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Definetely only use a 35w HID kit for the headlights and foglights. 55w gets way too hot and like someone said above it can do some damage to the housing. I used a 35w 8000k (blueish tint) in my stock foglights and it melted the glue that holds the little black metal piece that goes around the bulb. I have since went with halos for both headlights and foglights and they come with a cover over the bulbs which helps with the blinding of other people. I put the HID's in the stock headlights and got flashed quite a bit so be prepared for that. The HID bulb + the big reflective headlight = blinding lol Just a heads up :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definetely only use a 35w HID kit for the headlights and foglights. 55w gets way too hot and like someone said above it can do some damage to the housing. I used a 35w 8000k (blueish tint) in my stock foglights and it melted the glue that holds the little black metal piece that goes around the bulb. I have since went with halos for both headlights and foglights and they come with a cover over the bulbs which helps with the blinding of other people. I put the HID's in the stock headlights and got flashed quite a bit so be prepared for that. The HID bulb + the big reflective headlight = blinding lol Just a heads up :bigthumbsup
Thanks for the info...Would you do it again or just leave them stock?

·
Registered
31 Posts
In my '92 have have 35w 6000k in my head lights and my fogs and I am happy with them. IMO 6000k gives you the bluish look "most" people want and still gives you excellent light output but the guy above is right the 4300k are the brightest of them because they are whiter in color. The whiter the light the brighter the light. Either way they will be night and day brighter than the stock bulb... sorry about the bad pun! :shigrin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts