Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm about to pull the trigger on a V6 Performance Package, MCA edition. Would like to add a better security system and there are two options: the HID package that adds the security system, wheel locks and HID lights or the Reverse Package that has the security system and wheel lock with reverse sensing. The HID set up is about $300 more. What are yours thoughts on the pluses and minuses of each option?

·
Registered
43 Posts
i suggest going with the hid package, i look forward more than backward. after about a month of driving (and one costly mistake) - i got a sense of where the corners of my car are.

i wouldn't knock you for going either way, and you could always add an after market hid kit. but if you drive your car for long enough - i think you would rely less on electronic aids.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Definitely the HIDs. You will be glad you have them at night. The reverse sensing is kinda useless once you get used to the car. I had it on my old car and it eventually irritated me. I think the sensors also ugly up the rear a lot. Besides, if you ever want to swap out the rear valance to a GT500 or Roush, you are going to have a lot more work on your hands!

I will never own another car without HIDs. They improve night driving so much more!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm enjoying having both on mine. If I had to make a choice between the two though, HID for sure. I have the rear camera as well, so that plus the reverse sensing is a little bit overkill I suppose, but I like having both.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like you can add the rear camera as a single upgrade. How does that work on the dash without a nav system?

I'm enjoying having both on mine. If I had to make a choice between the two though, HID for sure. I have the rear camera as well, so that plus the reverse sensing is a little bit overkill I suppose, but I like having both.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It shows up in the rear view mirror, which I found to be convenient in our previous f150.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's cool. Is it always on in the rearview mirror or can you toggle it on and off. How much of the mirror does the image occupy? Seems like if its on all the time and take up a portion of the mirror it could be distracting.

It shows up in the rear view mirror, which I found to be convenient in our previous f150.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
get both!!:shigrin

·
Registered
837 Posts
HIDs, unless you are really bad at parallel parking. My buddy has it. He says it's pretty pointless if it's something small, or especially something that moved behind you WHILE you are backing up (babies, dogs, etc.. things that you'd want the sensors for).

Also, the sensors ruin the look of the valance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would honestly say skip both. I got Lowjack when I bought my car to feel a bit better about its safety + the insurance reductions, and if I am not mistaken, when you click the lock button a second time in these 2011-12s, the horn will honk and a killswitch will cut off connection to the battery. At least that's what the salesman told me... I don't feel the need for any further security because I'm from New York and am against car alarms going off.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have HIDs on mine and they're great, they really enhance the front of car and are amazing at night. I didn't feel the need to add reverse parking sensors as my Wife doesn't drive my car ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's cool. Is it always on in the rearview mirror or can you toggle it on and off. How much of the mirror does the image occupy? Seems like if its on all the time and take up a portion of the mirror it could be distracting.
The reverse camera is only on the rear-view mirror when you're backing up, otherwise you wouldn't notice there was a monitor in it (its about a 2.5 inch screen I would say, but it looks like part of the mirror when its off). I have the rear-view camera and HID's and I love both of them. If I had to pick one, it would be the reverse camera, simply because its easier to put aftermarket HID's in than wiring in a new rear mirror and camera (they doesn't get hidden in the wing).

Also, the rear-view mirror is auto-dimming, which is a really really nice feature :gringreen

·
Registered
837 Posts
The reverse camera is only on the rear-view mirror when you're backing up, otherwise you wouldn't notice there was a monitor in it (its about a 2.5 inch screen I would say, but it looks like part of the mirror when its off). I have the rear-view camera and HID's and I love both of them. If I had to pick one, it would be the reverse camera, simply because its easier to put aftermarket HID's in than wiring in a new rear mirror and camera (they doesn't get hidden in the wing).

Also, the rear-view mirror is auto-dimming, which is a really really nice feature :gringreen
But the OP is talking about the reverse sensor, which is just four dimples on the rear valance that beeps when you get close to something, not the reverse camera.

·
Registered
26 Posts
But the OP is talking about the reverse sensor, which is just four dimples on the rear valance that beeps when you get close to something, not the reverse camera.
I know, I was just responding to his questions about the rear-view camera, and thinking he ditched the idea of the reverse sensor :shigrin.

Honestly I would much rather have the reverse camera than the sensor for 2 reasons. 1. Its better to be able to see something behind you than to just know that something in general is behind you. 2. The dimples are ugly as hell :yup:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input. Think I will go with the HID set-up and maybe add the reverse camera - that option is only another $300 or so and I'm already going to spend 27K+! M. Jordan, I know what you mean about alarmed cars going off and driving folks nuts at all times of day. I would likely use that sparingly. How much was your lo-jack system?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Placed the order today. Performance White with Stone interior, PP, MCA edition, HID/security and rear camera. Now the waiting begins.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was around 500 for the install and the Lowjack service.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Placed the order today. Performance White with Stone interior, PP, MCA edition, HID/security and rear camera. Now the waiting begins.
Congrats, make sure you post some pictures when she arrives!

F

·
0 Posts
Congrats snaranjo!! I can help you track it if you'd like. Message me with your dealer name and order number so I can help.:)

Deysha

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
She's going to be beautiful!
I have, as you can see in my sig, HIDs and the reverse sensors, and I'm loving both, but if I had to choose one or the other, it would have been the HIDs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts