Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2010 Mustang GT about a week ago. I have a quick question about high flow cats. I was told that the stock catalytic convertors are already high-flow...so I'm wondering if that's true, and if so, why buy an aftermarket?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Well

Well compared to those OEM years ago and current styles available aftermarket, new CATS like yours are designed and are higher flow.
The exception maybe Kooks that are usually like most used in conjunction with a Long Tube Header install.

The problem has been with after market is f chamber design and the content of precious metals. The chamber design can cause fowling. The Kooks have a large amount of the metals and chamber design have made them a top choice and perform better than stock and meet most states EPA rules.

T Wayne

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
I've made 575hp through stock cats no problem. Run em.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
High flow cats are louder, that's probably about the biggest difference. Just FYI.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Nothing wrong with stock cats as long as you're not trying to push a lot of boost with F/I. Most people change them out only because they use headers that the stock H-pipe and cats wont fit.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Just echoing what the other said -- I would avoid messing with them, unless you have a very specific reason / requirement to do it. The only reason I know is that you want to go with long tube headers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts