Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally got all the parts for a PI swap on my 98 GT, but I am a little concerned because my motor already has 150K miles on it. I ran a compression test a while back and if I remember correctly, compression was about 130 on all cylinders. It also has a blown head gasket (I used man logic to justify replacing the entire top end since I'll be in there anyways :bigthumbsup).

Do you guys think I will be ok without rebuilding the bottom end?

edit: I'm pretty sure 130 is wrong, I'll have to re-check it tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would if it were me and you can afford it....throw in some more performance while your ad it and it will feel like a new car again:gringreen Really depends on your cash situation!

·
Registered
547 Posts
im planning on doing it this summer. im also using man logic... i cant beat a chevy impala, so im going to bump the horsepower a littlebit. lol. if your compression is bad now, i wouldnt do the swap though. your just begging for something to go wrong. however, if your compression ends up being within the tollerance, and you dont do a blower or No2, i wouldnt worry about it. my car has 85,000 miles on it and i was really worried about this too.

·
Registered
547 Posts
oh, also. if you end up needing to to change rings, and your not going to run alot of boost in the future, you will be ok with stock internals.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What does a repair manual say? Most I have read say 100psi minium, but if all the cylinders are close to each other then I think it's ok. My LS1 stock cranked out about 180psi, but that motor is 10.1:1 CR compared to your stock engine 9:1 CR.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.