Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im haveing trouble with my 66 mustang at high rpm.. i have the edelbrock 600 carbs and they seem to bog down when i press my throttle all the way. the car hesitates at high rpms with the wide open throttle.. but if i back off a little it seems to pick up again. any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
If you are experiencing this problem at around 65% of your throttle then you are having what is reffered to as Lean Bog.
The Carter (Edelbrock) is designed so that at 65% of your primaries the secondaries start to open. Both the primaries and secondaries should reach wide open at the same time. If not then adjust the shoe on the linkage to your secondaries to correct this.
To check for lean bog drive your car around at high rpm varing between your bog range and WOT. Then shut down without going to idle and pull a plug and look at it. I know it sounds weird but it works. Pick somewhere the counties wont bother ya.
If the plug is white and not brown or light brown then you have the lean bog problem.
To correct it go a step at a time bigger on your secondary jets.
That should fix your bog and jet your secondaries correctly.
Remember that going a bit rich on them will be better than lean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
k thanks ill check into it... but u made me think of something else that i was just wonderin was bad or not. after i been driving and my car is warmed up, when i stop the car and turn it off, it keeps trying to runfor a few seconds even tho the ignitions off. like it sputters and dies.. im just wondering if thats anything..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
creep said:
im haveing trouble with my 66 mustang at high rpm.. i have the edelbrock 600 carbs and they seem to bog down when i press my throttle all the way. the car hesitates at high rpms with the wide open throttle.. but if i back off a little it seems to pick up again. any ideas?
Get a dyno tune, and have them map you air/fuel ratio. They can adjust the jets and adjust carby to give you the correct mixture right through the rev range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
creep said:
k thanks ill check into it... but u made me think of something else that i was just wonderin was bad or not. after i been driving and my car is warmed up, when i stop the car and turn it off, it keeps trying to runfor a few seconds even tho the ignitions off. like it sputters and dies.. im just wondering if thats anything..
That sounds like carbon buildup.
There is an old trick to removing carbon but your neighbors will hate you for it.
With the engine running a bit above idle pour some transmission fluid down the carb slowly. Dont let the engine choke out.
Should only take like a cup or so.
Then take the car out and run it at high rpm a bit. Around the block would be good.
It smokes like a ***** though until it burns off.
The misquito people will have nothing on you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
fast66 said:
Get a dyno tune, and have them map you air/fuel ratio. They can adjust the jets and adjust carby to give you the correct mixture right through the rev range.
Of course the dyno is the best way, hands down.
But some of us dont have that luxury.
Or can spare the cash for it.
Thats when you need to fall back on the old school ways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha.. i just moved into this neighborhood i think the neighbors would kill me.. but ill look into the dyn test.. thanks for your help.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top