Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
It won't hurt anything but yuor wallet. Why are you going this route?

·
Registered
6 Posts
If your car is running hot then you should fix what is causing it to do so. The turbo blocks are stronger than the n/a blocks. In 2.3l Mustangs the #1 cylinder runs cold almost all the time because of the water pump location. This causes the #1 cylinder to have the most wear out of the 4. Now you want to add more of a cooling effect by adding a high volumn water pump. A buddy and I rebuilt his 89 Mustang 2.3l n/a engine. We put a good bit of time into it with the best of everything. It was a high compression, high reving little monster. And of course a HIGH VOLUMN water pump because it was gunna make some heat. WELL... 5000 miles later the #1 cylinder was just shreaded. The rings just destroyed the cylinder bore. #2 was better, #3 had just a little wear and the #4 cylinder was perfect. My advice would be to stay away from the high volumn water pumps on n/a engines. But if you were to use a Turbo block then it might be possible. Just keep an eye on the temp, don't let it run too cold.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just need a water pump! (present pump rusted bad)
Engine head gasket let loose - replacing that!
Engine and tranny are out of the car ;)

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Just go to your local parts place and get one for the year engine you have. These are jut fine out of the box. Make sure you keep track of which hole the long bolt comes out of. That one goes through a water passage and requires thread sealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.