Ford Mustang Forum banner

Hit Raccoon at 4AM, Headlight Cost Crazy!

3656 Views 15 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Strange Mud
Well I hope this never happens to anyone else here, I was going to work at 4AM on a Highway and a Raccoon just jumped out right in front of me and my 5.0, never saw it until it as it jumped right in front of the car... I was doing about 75 MPH at the time.

Took out Halogen Headlight Assembly, A/C Condensor, Radiator, Front Bumper cover and other associated parts.

Got the car to the dealer and they gave me a quote for repairs, into the thousands, but a majority of the cost is due to having to replace one of the Halogen Headlight Assembly's for $1100+, it had broken mounting points.

I'm astounded by the cost of the headlight assembly, I looked online and Yup that's pretty much what they go for.

Hopefully insurance will cover all... I am using OEM parts and refuse to use aftermarket parts for the repair.

Anyways, just wanted to let you know to lock up those headlights at night they are worth something...lol

and so it goes....

:scratchchin
See less See more
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G
My car is at a bodyshop right now because of hitting a dear on my drive home. Cracked the right HID headlight plus dented the hood and right fender. Including some internal damage that was found after work started, total damage is at $2,900 so far. Nearly half that was the cost of the headlight.

The cost didn't surprise me one bit having replaced Mercedes HID headlights in the past.
See less See more
My car is at a bodyshop right now because of hitting a dear on my drive home. Cracked the right HID headlight plus dented the hood and right fender. Including some internal damage that was found after work started, total damage is at $2,900 so far. Nearly half that was the cost of the headlight.

The cost didn't surprise me one bit having replaced Mercedes HID headlights in the past.
Sorry you are going through the same thing Grimace.... My total is about $3500...

Hang in there, things happen , I hope no one was hurt with yours... that's what really matters the most...
See less See more
G
Sorry you are going through the same thing Grimace.... My total is about $3500...

Hang in there, things happen , I hope no one was hurt with yours... that's what really matters the most...
Absolutely and same to you. Progressive insurance is covering everything but my $250 deductible and has been great to work with. It's about as painless an ordeal as I could hope for. I hope yours goes as smooth as mine.:bigthumbsup
See less See more
Get that zero comp deductible coverage from progressive! Only $10-$15 extra a month, covers a windshield replacement yearly and is worth the few bucks a month. When I was gonna buy an 11 5.0, I was gonna buy HID's after the fact, then I saw the price and **** myself a little bit.
must have been one hell of a racoon to do all that damage, hope all works out
Absolutely and same to you. Progressive insurance is covering everything but my $250 deductible and has been great to work with. It's about as painless an ordeal as I could hope for. I hope yours goes as smooth as mine.:bigthumbsup
Well I'm working with my insurance Company now and will let you know, Glad your's is going well... Only day one of mine, So i need to see how they perform...

I will certainly consider Low deductible Comp after all this... Thank you turd burgular for advice..

Well I hit it square on at the 12 o'clock position and it exited looks like on the right side of my car... I saw it for a millisecond... so I really have no idea how much it weighed. All I could tell it was a ****...

:bigthumbsup
See less See more
I installed xpel headlight protection on my hid's. It would not help for a large animal but rocks and flying depris.
I must echo what others have said that I am glad both of you are all right. As much as it sucks (oh and I know, it sucks) the cars can be fixed relatively easily....we aren't so easy to fix.

Man a ****. Gotta make sure I watch out for those now too, I guess. I've run over plenty of those, but always with full size trucks.
See less See more
Thanks all for your replies...

The only other thing I wish I had were FLARES, there was alot of truck traffic, and it very dangerous sitting on a narrow shoulder... I was thinking that the Flares set up behind my car would have helped warn other vehicles that I was there... I actually ended up getting out of the car and waiting on the other side of the guardrail to be safer...

Something to think about...

See less See more
The raccoon must have literally been flying to be up that high to line up with the headlight. Mind blowing. Sorta would like to see pictures, sorta glad you didn't add them.

And you're right, flares, or some sort of portable strobe, should be in every car. We have major road destruction... I mean construction all over the city now and there are miles and miles of interstate with absolutely zero birm, or a birm barely wide enough to hold a broken down bicycle.
See less See more
The raccoon must have literally been flying to be up that high to line up with the headlight. Mind blowing. Sorta would like to see pictures, sorta glad you didn't add them.

And you're right, flares, or some sort of portable strobe, should be in every car. We have major road destruction... I mean construction all over the city now and there are miles and miles of interstate with absolutely zero birm, or a birm barely wide enough to hold a broken down bicycle.

Unfortunately it wasn't that dramatic with the headlight, it looks perfectly normal, but I guess it just got some pressure put on it enough the break the adjustable mount...

See less See more
Raccoons suck ass brother...

This was about 200 miles after getting the car back after $3000 in damage from putting into a ditch.
See less See more
Well this morning I found out that the dealer made a mistake and quoted me a price for a HID headlight assembly, the Halogen assembly is about $300 so about $800 less than the original quote.

Unfortunately, My insurance policy allows for aftermarket part replacement. I however and going to pay the difference for OEM parts, which is really minimal.

All is moving along as far as repairs go for now. I guess I learned its pay now or pay later regarding the use of OEM parts for these repairs.

See less See more
Better than a skunk.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.