Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Well, my F150 was needing to be worked on, so I had to pull the cars out of the garage. There was a freezing rain advisory but I figured I was not driving them so water would not hurt them....
I have a '74 Chevelle and the '05 Mustang.
Well I had them parked in the drive and I was just pulling the truck out to put the cars away, the ice built up on my flag and the flag pole snapped down and hit the hood of the Mustang. There was a layer of ice so I thought for a minute maybe it saved it...but NO!
I'm glad it hit the Mustang since I can actually get parts for it or get the paint matched easier then the Chevelle.
So here is my question as far as what costs I can expect.
The pole dented the hood on the drivers side. It hit the line of the hood. I think any type of body work to my hood would be visible since it is such a noticable line.
I have vinyl racing stripes too. What do you think the Insurance company will do? I know I have a high deductable:$500. But what do you think a body shop would charge for a new hood and painting?
My thoughts is to get a new style hood. I might just have the stripes painted on instead. I also want to get a Roush front fascia and chin spoiler.
I know I will be spending most of the money out of pocket. I'm just wondering what your experiences were or if there are any Body Shop guys out there what their thoughts would be. I'll try and snap a picture to give a better idea of the location of the damage.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. You can get an aftermarket hood painted and installed for around $1k-$1200

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
sorry about the stang...

A ford replacement hood is $690! Add paint and stuff to that I think it was around $900 or maybe a bit more... as stlwagon pointed out an aftermarket might run you a bit more... going to depend on how much prepping your aftermarket hood is going to take...

As far as the stripe, your insurance should cover that... mine covered my stripes, tint on the headlight/turn signals... I decided not to put the stripes back on, so I applied that money towards the hood...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some pics. It does not look like much from the picture but there are some scratches in the stripes and a chip on the fender too.
Well, the upside of this is I can show you guys the Mirror Covers I put on the other day....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Here are some pics. It does not look like much from the picture but there are some scratches in the stripes and a chip on the fender too.
Well, the upside of this is I can show you guys the Mirror Covers I put on the other day....
Tough to tell but I'm sensing that could be salvaged.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know there is paintless dent removal but I have not had good luck with that. Also, being on the line, I dont' know if it was an option. I would love for it to be fixable, but I don't want it to be noticable. The Hood is the main focus of any car and the "Lines" are critical...you know??????

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
I'm not sure but I think you homeowners will cover that damage. The car was parked at you house and not being used and some of your property did the dammage. Thats why we pay thoes large sums to insurance companys.

Sorry to see that happen to a beautiful car.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Wouldn't that be covered under comprehensive rather than collison? If that is the case, you may not have a deductable and also, maybe your homeowners insurance might pay.
Darn a minute late. lol
We are supposed to get that nasty stuff tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
That sucks, I would check on the home owners insurence paying for it. LOL I have an OEM hood with no dent sitting in my garage, I'll be back from deployment in 9 months if you want to wait!

·
Registered
448 Posts
That sucks man, but they probably will want to fix that hood. We got it down here too just about the time we were starting to melt a little of the white stuff too. Brent

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I have State Farm for the house and the car. So they really can't try and hose me by blaming it on "The other guy". Also, I live in a small town and the insurance agent is pretty good.
I had hail damgage on a different car and they came out and cut me a check for the damage. I chose to live with it. I do som much highway driving that I just used it to pay off the car.
Here's a question, I have vinyl stripes. If I want the exact same stripes on my car that are there now but painted, do you think a body shop would utilize the stripes and tape off the car using them for reference and then remove the vinyl stripes? Or, would they just take them off first and remeasure? I don't know if that is a time consuming part of the job or not.
I want to get a Roush facia, that would need to be redone and the stripes on the hood are knicked. So almost half the stripes are needing replaced...

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I had all my paintwork done, including installing the chin spoiler and hood scoop for about a thousand dollars. That includes the black and two coats of clear topcoat. I don't think the damage you have there is really that bad that it can't be fixed relatively cheaply. Like the others said, it's not a collision situation. You might be able to get by without a deductible. I hit a deer in my F-150 a little over a year ago, while moving, and it was fully covered under my comprehensive. Hope it works for you.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Homeowners will not cover the damage to your car, that's covered by your auto policy.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you can find a good paintless repair shop, that shouldn't be to hard for them to fix. A friend of mine had a similar dent on his fender, right on a body line. I didn't think it could be fixed without filler. After the repair, I was very impressed. If I didn't know it was there, I wouldn't have been able to find it. There was a very minor distortion in the paint (fish eye), but it would take a trained eye lookin very close to see it. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
I'm not sure but I think you homeowners will cover that damage. The car was parked at you house and not being used and some of your property did the dammage. Thats why we pay thoes large sums to insurance companys.

Sorry to see that happen to a beautiful car.
I just had a tree fall on my daughter's car a couple weeks back. Comprehensive covered it, not homeowners. Seemed odd to me too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just had a tree fall on my daughter's car a couple weeks back. Comprehensive covered it, not homeowners. Seemed odd to me too.
Comprehensive (or "other than collision") coverage is the ONLY place to get coverage for your situation. Whether it's a flag pole or tree...whether it's your flag pole/tree or your neighbors...it's covered under Comprehensive...subject to your Comprehensive deductible. FYI...Comprehensive coverage is DIRT cheap. Always carry a $0 or $250 deductible on Comprehensive. Most of your premium comes from two places on your auto policy: Bodily Injury & Collision.
Looks like your hood is able to be repaired...below a $500 deductible. Call your agent's office and ask if you don't have your auto declarations page - showing your coverages. Ask your SF agent if he has a "buddy" in the auto body business that can give you a good CASH price on any work you need done.
I would guess that you will easily find one. SF insures 20% of ALL homes and cars in the US. They are bigger than Geico, Allstate & Nationwide COMBINED!!!
Good luck! I feel your pain. I just blew up my motor in my 2005 Saleen. I am in the dog house with the wife...

·
Registered
161 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts