Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I put an HO cam in a non HO engine?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its an 88 or 89, it IS a roller lifter engine if that is what youre asking by asking the year.

Im just worried about 2 things

1) Will I have interference with the Pistons
2) It will work as long as I change the firing order on the distributor cap, right? I.E. The cranks are the same.

Also, are the valve springs the same?

And any idea of the compression ratio of the non HO engine?

·
Registered
95 Posts
why spend all that time to put just an ho cam in why not a B or an E ford cam. yes it should clear it did on my 89 ford ltd. wagoon.....the fireing order is the same as long as it is a 302(NOT 351W) and your new distubtor is newer then 85 or 86 basicly has to have the EEC-4 distubtor. hope i help

·
Banned
96 Posts
If the non-HO ecu corrects the AFR based on feedback from an O2 in each bank of the engine, then you really need to look at the firing order.
I'm not sure how much of an issue this is when using a non-HO ecu and an HO cam, but I would encourage you to look into the details...

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im using a carbed setup, its going in a '66 Mustang, and im also using the distributor for the '66 with the hardened gear, so im not worried about it working with any computer or anything. I just need to know that it will fit in (they are the same base circle), I wont smash a piston into a valve, and that the cranks are the same for both engines so that all I will need to do is change the firing order at the distributor cap.

Also, are the timing gear sprokets different?

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Crank has nothing to do with firing order. Far as I know, the Cams basecircle is the same. Dont hold me to that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
yes i did. runs good.
but check everything spring pressure, lift, degree in the cam, new time chain set, so on so on and so on......the only thing i did not do is check the spring pressure but i will not have the head on long as i will replace them with raceing heads to get good gains of HP. ford heads are like drinking through a coffe sterr straw .later

·
Registered
95 Posts
ho carb hmmmmm
you will need to change gear on disturbtor as they are softer on the roller cams so they dont eat the gears off. as i did this once OCH. it makes a mess of thing.... i dont know enoght on the '66 to tell you if the pistions will clear. the LTD i had is a 1990 that i put that cam in. i still think it would clear but look up in the cam books and look at lift and foot notes and come pair. the non roller engine has less valve spring seat pressure the the roller which new spring would have to be put in for the roller cam. sorry about last post i miss under stood your question.....

·
Registered
223 Posts
Before I bought the H.O engine,I did the H.O upgrade to the base SO 5.0 engine from an '88 T-Bird.I swapped the cam,upper intake with an H.O upper,EGR spacer,and throttlebody,and I installed the H.O cam and 19# injectors.I also had to go to the 351W firing order.As far as the computer,I swapped in a DA-1 speed density computer and that's it (other than modding the exhaust).The electrical harness for the computer wasn't modified in any way..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.