Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive been working for awhile on the electrical problems with my car and finally got it working thanks to help from member 89coupe and some patience... now when its running it poors fuel from the front of the carb onto the edelbrock intake. i think its just getting more fuel than it needs and flooding but i am open to suggestions on things to check out first tomorrow when i try my diagnosis. what would cause this and how should it be fixed?

·
Registered
552 Posts
float... gaskets on front

my 351w did the same im running a holley 600 vacuum carb and it leaks on my edelbrock performer 351w intake

took it off, put a spacer on it, new gaskets on the leaking side, and make sure the 4 bolts are bolted down good..

Done.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. i have either a 650 or 750 ill have to check the book... and i have the edelbrock performer rpm intake...

hopefully i can get the holley parts from a local auto parts shop...

i did buy it used off craigslist so this is always a risk i guess

·
Registered
216 Posts
Is it in a car that used to be fuel injected? If so and you still have the pump in the tank you are pushing fuel past the needle and seat.

You need to get the fuel pressre down to 5-7#.

If not you need to make sure the float level is correct.

What is the list number on the carb?

·
Registered
552 Posts
im actually running the SAME setup you are

Now:
87 coupe
351w
holley 600 vacuum
edelbrock performer 351w intake
some late 70s heads

im getting aluminum heads
got a 750 aed carb in mail on its way
and the edelbrock rpm airgap is on its way

and my edelbrock performer use to always be full of gas, that holley leaked like crazy...

me and you are in the same boat, get a holley mech secondary double pumper

300$ish and itll run better

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i was told wrong, it is a 600. 4160 so its the exact same setup...

since i havent gotten mine on the road yet, how do you like it?

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Do you have a return spring on the throttle bracket? Just throwing things out there. My carb experience is pretty close to Zilch, Now EFI.......differnt story.:wavey

·
Registered
552 Posts

i like it, runs out real good..

the carb is awful though, and im running a HEI distributor instead of the coil and ignition module etc. (duraspark sucks)

·
Registered
216 Posts

So it's an 1850-X.

You never answerd my question. What is the fuel pressure at the carb? Did you get it down to 5-7#?

·
Registered
552 Posts
So it's an 1850-X.

You never answerd my question. What is the fuel pressure at the carb? Did you get it down to 5-7#?

yea the 1850-4
i would get a new carb, unless you can tune it real good.

when you turn the key on does the fuel pump come on?
are you running mechanical fuel pump?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would have to agree on getting a different carb. The metering block on the secondary side makes tuning a bit harder.

For the 351 I would suggest either a 4777 (650 dp) or a 4778 (700 dp). Either of these would be IMENSELY more tunable.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I would have to agree on getting a different carb. The metering block on the secondary side makes tuning a bit harder.

For the 351 I would suggest either a 4777 (650 dp) or a 4778 (700 dp). Either of these would be IMENSELY more tunable.
if you get a new carb
do what i did, get on ebay and spend 500$ on an AED 750

lil big for what you need, and what i need.
but AED takes the holley and makes it 100 times better they make a 650 also for about 450-500$
kinda like the hennessey company that does the viper all nice

Or just get a holley 750 double pumper with mechanical secondaries

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok ill check the fuel pressure when i can. i am going to try and put the old carb on it just to see if that fixes it. if it does, ill sell the holley and use the stock carb until i can afford a new one because the info from you guys has been HORRIBLE about this carb...

ill keep you guys updated

·
Registered
552 Posts
just dont get a vacuum secondary carb..

They arent as good/reliable as a mechanical secondary, and every vacuum secondary ive messed with has been a pain in the arse to tune

·
Registered
111 Posts
Either you have too much fuel pressure or the floats aren't adjusted correctly. Some 4160's will allow float adjustment some won't, not sure which one you've got. That's why I've always liked the 4150's better, you've got mecanical secondnaries and you can adjust the floats.
At least you don't have to track down some stupid sensor that's went bad. With a carb the problems are right there and can be easily fixed. No having to track down bad IAC, TPS, EGR, O2 or other sensor problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.