Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone attempted any home made ram air projects for their 05 or 06? I have pondered this everytime I walk into a home depot, hee hee.

·
Registered
886 Posts
as a matter of fact......

funny you should mention that...I'm making mine right now. Just came in for a lunch break. The basic idea is to open up the honeycomb on the lower grill trim piece, and use 4" thin wall PVC to direct air up towards the CAI. It won't be a true, pressurized ram, but it should funnel cooler air into the area of the intake. My plan is to make a couple comparison runs using SCT's datalogging to compare air intake temps - one run with the opening blocked ( stock) and some open.

I'm not a huge fan of PVC - it always looks ghetto. But, there are enough reliable plastic paints around, and it won't be visible unless you're under the car. maybe somebody will steal my design, then I can buy a nicely molded one!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
very good idea ultraClyde, be sure to take some pics when you are finished and post them in your gallery... i'd really like to see hear about your results too.

·
Registered
886 Posts
well, I got the prototype installed. From outside the car you cannot see it. Looks dead stock. It seems a little zippier at highway speeds, but I won't have a chance to run the data logging for a couple days. with the hood up, I directed a compressed air line towards the opening in the bumper, and got a definite flow of air around the filter. I'd bet it will show more value in the summer when temps are up. as soon as I can, I'll get some pix and upload.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I hadn't thought about it till you mentioned it but then something came to mind. flex vent tubing from the exhaust of a clothes dryer. It's easy to put where you want it and should deliver alot of air.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That's a awesome idea Peewee, I got the procharger and the setup for where it gets air is just horrible!!! I want to attempt and make my own like the prototypes pictures had. I guess I have a project for the weekend!! Where do you pick up that tubing?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
2k5stang said:
That's a awesome idea Peewee, I got the procharger and the setup for where it gets air is just horrible!!! I want to attempt and make my own like the prototypes pictures had. I guess I have a project for the weekend!! Where do you pick up that tubing?
That is the one thing that will hold me back from getting a procharger, but then again it is cooled before entering the engine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Waxed'05 GT said:
That is the one thing that will hold me back from getting a procharger, but then again it is cooled before entering the engine.
The design looks pretty poor if you look at it... most of the intercooler sits behind a spot that gets no air. If you felt any part of the tubing after it's been running it's HOT!!! you will burn yourself it's hot enough. I just notice this yesterday cause I in the process of making everything shine in my engine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
ultraclyde said:
funny you should mention that...I'm making mine right now. Just came in for a lunch break. The basic idea is to open up the honeycomb on the lower grill trim piece, and use 4" thin wall PVC to direct air up towards the CAI. It won't be a true, pressurized ram, but it should funnel cooler air into the area of the intake. My plan is to make a couple comparison runs using SCT's datalogging to compare air intake temps - one run with the opening blocked ( stock) and some open.

I'm not a huge fan of PVC - it always looks ghetto. But, there are enough reliable plastic paints around, and it won't be visible unless you're under the car. maybe somebody will steal my design, then I can buy a nicely molded one!!!
I had started the same thing but never got around to finishing it. I was planning on using some galvanized metal used in central air ducting. Some really odd angles though and I've contemplated using aluminum flexible drier ducting.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I used radiator hoses that were large and close to the size and shape i needed for ram air. This was on an 89 IROC, but it would probably work just as well on a "good" car.:winks You can zip tie the rad hoses were you want them and they will stay at high speed, where the vent hose might flap or flex too much. Anyway good luck to all.:thumbsup

·
Registered
102 Posts
You can get plastic (not recommended) or aluminum tubing at appliance stores, Sears, Lowes, Home depot, etc. Essentially anywhere where they will sell washers and dryers.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I used the flex aluminum on some of my past cars, but was unhappy with the durability of it. It was hard to make it look factory-like. I also looked at the galvanized ac duct, but I had the pvc parts laying around the shop for freebies. I actaully found that I could avoid weird using one 90 deg elbow. The intake is made from one straight piece of 4"PVC that is slash cut so that the cut is a little longer than the created opening in the bumper. This extends about 4" towards the fender well and turns up with the elbow, and then another 6"-8" piece of straight pvc shoots the air into the triangular opening in the chassis just ahead of the filter. It doesn't actually go through the opening, but the air flows through with no problem. Because of the holidays, I can't test and datalog intake temp for at least another week. After a 10 mile drive back up the highway to my house yesterday, i immediately hopped out and checked the temp of the intake tube by hand. The filter, intake tube, and heat shields were COLD to the touch. Ambient temp was in the 50's, and the accesories on the non-intake side of the engine bay were very warm. Seems like a good sign.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So I go to the hardware store and get the ducting... I tried to find a place for the air filter but no luck... The procharger takes up all the room... If anybody can figure something out let me know! You would have to get a smaller filter

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was at a parts store (Autozone I think) today and as I was walking down the isle I notice a sign that said Air Intake Kits and sure enough someone already thought of this!

The one I seen was made by Spectre http://www.powerflowracing.com/3modular.html

They even have one that was a rigid flexible tube that came in three colors (Red, Black and Blue). Adapters, funnel plates, connectors you name it!

I'm trashing my prototype!

·
Registered
886 Posts
I saw those and was pretty tempted to go that route. Stuff looks nice and has a good quality feel to it. But by the time I bought all the pieces I needed, I would be up to $50 or so. Not in my budget, right now. Also, at the time I looked, all I could find locally was 3" pieces. I wanted at least 4" since the CAI tubing is that size.

very cool products, however. I like it when a company gives the shade tree engineer good stuff to work with.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Billy - Great find! I recoginize this stuff from an auto zone trip too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts