Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on a forum a while back that someone had fastened their honey comb tail light panel using magnetic tape instead of the supplied adhesive. This is supposed to make washing and drying the car a lot easier since water builds up behind the panel. Anyone had any experience with this?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
They make 1 that is magnetized so you can take on or of and one that is perminent with 3m double sided tape. The magnetic one is not an adesive I bleave it works like a regular magnet.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Never heard of the magnetic fasteners. Not sure it would be beefy enough to hold it on.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i have the honeycomb panel just attached with 3M tape. it works fine, water doesn't build up behind it and any that does get back there drains out through the drain holes in the bottom of the panel. like STL said, I'm not sure if magnets will be strong enough to keep it on.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I would think that with the 3M tape there would be enough of an air gap to allow air to circulate behind it.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
I have the magnetic blackout panel on my car. To be honest i never take it off because it fits so tightly against the fake gas cap and i ended up ripping it towards the top section since i am a big dummy (i also bent my short antenna in half the other night when i was putting my car cover one >_<)

I believe i found it on Parts and Accessories for your Ford Mustang - 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 - Moss Mustang Store or Mustang Parts & Performance - American Muscle

It wasn't too expensive either. The honeycomb one is more than twice the price.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine is installed with the adhesive tape and I have had no problems with moisture. To be fair, though, my car has never seen rain or snow but washing has never posed any problems.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i love the SHR panel, no problems with moisture behind it at all... and the car has been in the rain haha

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I have one and I honestly don't think too much gets behind it. The 3M tape seals it pretty good. Salt would eventually get washed out if it was back there. I have louvers on my quarter window. Had them there for about 2 years so I haven't washed the window during that time. Yet the window is still reasonably clean. I think you'll be OK. Besides, it would probably take 5 or more years to rust to eat thru the paint and then it probably won't be noticed. Generally you need a deep scratch to get it started.

BTW...my honeycomb panel has been surprisingly easy to clean. Everyone said it would be tough. Hasn't been a problem at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
honey comb tail light panel

how bulky is the panel

i'm thinking about one

i would like to actually see one live first

I have the cdc louvered covers on my back windows and they look great after washing no spots on windows with a spot free rinse

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
how bulky is the panel

i'm thinking about one

I have the cdc louvered covers on my back windows and they look great after washing no spots on windows with a spot free rinse
the panel is just thick enough to sit flush with the tail lights, maybe about a half inch think

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Yep...about a half inch and it is pretty much flush with the tail lights. The honeycomb pattern is only about 1/8 deep so cleaning is much easier than the front grill. I use a wash mitt or soft car brush to clean it. Then I pat it dry with a terry cloth towel. It dries perfectly with no water residue left in the honeycombs.

The key to the 3M tape adhesion is to prepare the surface according to the instructions, do it on a warm day or press and hold in place properly. Just follow the instructions to the letter and you shouldn't have any issues.

Trial fit it before you pull the backing off the tape. Once this tape grabs it's pretty tough to remove it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
how bulky is the panel

i'm thinking about one

You can see customer photos at silverhorseracing.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.