Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed after-market hood hinge struts? What brand did you use and how are they working out for you? I hate the little metal rod that holds up the hood and this is the first thing I am thinking of replacing when my V6 arrives in a few weeks/months.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Has anyone installed after-market hood hinge struts? What brand did you use and how are they working out for you? I hate the little metal rod that holds up the hood and this is the first thing I am thinking of replacing when my V6 arrives in a few weeks/months.
I got the MRT's. Took about 10 min to install, they work great and look good. Open the hood nice and high, and there is no drilling required. You will either have to relocate the sound tube or eliminate it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I thought about doing this but then I thought to myself: How many times do I really need to get under the hood?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the MRT's. Took about 10 min to install, they work great and look good. Open the hood nice and high, and there is no drilling required. You will either have to relocate the sound tube or eliminate it.
The sound tube? What is that? Have seen the MRT - I see American Muscle.com has a nice one as well. Don't expect to be opening the hood a lot - guess I'm just spoiled since that's how my 66 coupe works and the hood is open a lot there for one reason or another :gringreen

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about doing this but then I thought to myself: How many times do I really need to get under the hood?
See you have a cold air intake on your V6. Was the a worthwhile upgrade? Does it need to be accompanied with a tune? Don't even have the car yet and already planning add-ons!

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
See you have a cold air intake on your V6. Was the a worthwhile upgrade? Does it need to be accompanied with a tune? Don't even have the car yet and already planning add-ons!
CAI is well worth it. Tune is better. Each could add approximately 15-25HP/TQ individually, and combined they could add 20-32HP/TQ (numbers are approximate/ball-park). Sounds a little odd I know, but that's how it is. The Tune is definitely the better first upgrade, as it smooths out a lot of the engine and transmission operation along with the HP/TQ gains.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Need to learn more about the tuning with computer-based cars. I can tune my 66 but don't know where to start with my yet to be 012 V6:). Guess I wonder why the car would not be ready to go off the factory floor. Is it primarily tuned at the factory for efficiency and not performance?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Need to learn more about the tuning with computer-based cars. I can tune my 66 but don't know where to start with my yet to be 012 V6:). Guess I wonder why the car would not be ready to go off the factory floor. Is it primarily tuned at the factory for efficiency and not performance?
lol have you seen the numbers this car puts out..i would have to say its tuned for both efficiency and performance!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Best way to do it is to get the computer code off the box after your car comes in and order a custom tune from BAMA or one of the other reputable tuners. Or take it in to an dyno shop that's well experienced with the 2011+ models. No sense trying to tune this thing yourself.

The factory did an awesome job, and you really do not have to run an aftermarket tune at all, but as with any car, there's always a little something extra to be gained from some quality aftermarket mod's.

Run that baby when you get her, read the forums, and make up your mind from there. ;)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I have the DG Custom struts on mine. I love them. They lift the hood about a foot higher and it just adds a nice touch.

V6 Cannonballer - I think you would be less prone to crack. It lifts with even pressure on each side as opposed to the way the hood is held crooked with the prop rod.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
I have the DG Custom struts on mine. I love them. They lift the hood about a foot higher and it just adds a nice touch.

V6 Cannonballer - I think you would be less prone to crack. It lifts with even pressure on each side as opposed to the way the hood is held crooked with the prop rod.
I might give them a try one of these days. Still contemplating.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
No, the prop rod supports it, the struts will induce a twisting torque if the hood is weak.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol have you seen the numbers this car puts out..i would have to say its tuned for both efficiency and performance!:bigthumbsup
I certainly have - that's the reason I'm buying one:nogrinner. But if it can be even better, I'm all for that too!

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
It's no different than the way your 60's Mustang was tuned from the factory, tuned to a happy medium, not too aggressive but not weak either and can definitely be improved with sharper tuning.

As to the hood strut kit, all of them out there are basically just variations on a theme.

And the sound tube deal is only on GT's.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's no different than the way your 60's Mustang was tuned from the factory, tuned to a happy medium, not too aggressive but not weak either and can definitely be improved with sharper tuning.

As to the hood strut kit, all of them out there are basically just variations on a theme.

And the sound tube deal is only on GT's.
That's correct, sorry, didn't realize we were talking about a V6, so then you have nothing to worry about. Sound tube is literally just a tube that runs from the CAI to the firewall to pipe in engine noise to the cabin.

I agree too, that most of the struts are the same with the exception of Redlines (which many people like) because the redlines need holes drilled in the hood and are pop riveted in.

The AM ones look almost exactly like my MRTs. Even if you don't open the hood a lot, it is nice even for checking the oil. Hood opens nice and high and there is nothing getting in the way when you are leaning in.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Engine stereo - I love it! I get a similar effect with the 347 in my 66 coupe due to lack of cabin insulation :gringreen

·
Registered
121 Posts
Myself, I get under the hood almost every time I wash the car. Don't you keep it clean, man ? Change your ways, or trade the car so someone who loves Mustangs will own it, ok ? :bigthumbsup

Just breaking your balls, but really man, if you don't keep it clean under the hood, who will ? I just added the hood struts to mine, LOVE it !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts