Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was looking under my hood and I have what seemed to be the paint bubbling under my hood. Upon further investigation, it appears that it is Aluminum Corrosion, not rust, but corrosion. The only difference is that rust will eat through a car, where the corrosion will only make your car look like crap. Both suck Ford.

The issue is that Ford will not fix it under the warranty because it is not "rust". They have a warranty for this, but it is only 3years/36k miles. I have a 2006 with 66k miles.

My only options are to buy a new hood ($1200 without painting or installing it) or just have them repaint it for about $900. However, they GUARANTEE that the corrosion will come back if just repaint.

What's worse, Ford knows this is an issue, but won't help fix the issue. Most Mustangs get this issue apparently and its because they use an aluminum hood. But they still make the newer mustangs with this same hood even though they know it causes issues.

Question: Does anyone have suggestions on what I should do? Or where I can find a cheap steel hood that would fit? I hear fiber glass it cheap, but its hard to get it really smooth due to bad molding. Apparently the paint would look wavy? So with all the extra work to make it smooth, it ends up being close to $1000 anyway for fiber glass hoods.

Thanks Guys. I know that is a lot to read.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
The issue is caused by iron contamination in the welded aluminum seams. Common problem on the 2005-2006 Mustang. 2007+ hoods don't have this issue.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The issue is caused by iron contamination in the welded aluminum seams. Common problem on the 2005-2006 Mustang. 2007+ hoods don't have this issue.
Well stl, they must have put a 2006 on my 2007 (LOL) :shigrin

·
Registered
13,170 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone bought a new hood or got an aftermarket one, that know of a good place to get them at reasonable prices?

G

·
The Steeda hood is only around $450. Excellent fit and finish to their glass also.

You may want to try another dealership first.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If this is a known quality issue, perhaps a call to the Ford DSM is in order? Is there documentation available to prove this?

To the OP, is the corrosion only on the bottom side of the hood or has it crawled around the edge so you can see it from the outside? Any pics?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To the OP, is the corrosion only on the bottom side of the hood or has it crawled around the edge so you can see it from the outside? Any pics?
It has started to crawl around to the front.
I can post a pic tomorrow if you would like.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Has anyone bought a new hood or got an aftermarket one, that know of a good place to get them at reasonable prices?
Elmhurst lincoln/mercury in IL new mustang hood painted to match car 650.00 call them to see if they still have any hoods in stock?

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
try looking around for a take-off hood, there has got to be a guy going with an aftermarket one in your color thats in good shape for a good price i bet :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
28k + insurance, tax, excise tax, sales tax and other taxes here in Taxachusetts … and a hood that's been fixed and rotting again. :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
203 Posts
It has started to crawl around to the front.
I can post a pic tomorrow if you would like.
Don't go to any trouble. I was just curious about what it looked like.

I thought if it hadn't crawled around to the outside yet you might be able to stop it before it gets there, by opening up the blister, removing the corrosion and sealing it before it goes further.

I still think it would be worth a call to your Ford rep. You shouldn't have that kind of visible corrosion at 5 years.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will look into calling Ford about it.

Does anyone know of a way to prevent the corrosion if I got a new one?

Or keep it from getting worse on my current one?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had an issue with this on the edge of my hood. Ford said that it was because the etch primer was to think and was allowing the paint ans aluminum of the hood to react together. Sounds like the same issue. I was finally able to get them to repaint the hood. Took several dozen phone call. Several trips to the body shop and for them to realize I was not going away. My main argument was that the issue was with the car since it was built and I didn't care if it showed up on mile 1 or mile 100,000. They were going to make it right and they did

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had an issue with this on the edge of my hood. Ford said that it was because the etch primer was to think and was allowing the paint ans aluminum of the hood to react together. Sounds like the same issue. I was finally able to get them to repaint the hood. Took several dozen phone call. Several trips to the body shop and for them to realize I was not going away. My main argument was that the issue was with the car since it was built and I didn't care if it showed up on mile 1 or mile 100,000. They were going to make it right and they did
Interesting. I can try that too. I have defiantly made that work for me before. Who were you talking too? Body shop manager? Was it the same shop of where you bought it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.