Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it very annoying that not only is there not a light under the hood, but in this day and age, the hood has to be propped with an 'old' metal rod!? While ordering the rear-window louver from MRT the other day, I noticed that they have a 'new' part - hood struts. I've ordered them in black powder-coat for my 06. Anyone else install them, yet? Look pretty simple to bolt on. Says no additional drilling required, either, which is a plus....

·
Registered
191 Posts
I haven't installed the hood struts yet but plenty of folks on this board have. I've seen the Redline Tuning struts in person and they looked great but required drilling a couple of holes. I've just seen pics of the MRTs but they look good as well. If you search this forum I'll bet you can find pics from some of the previous posts. Make sure you post your experience once you get them...and pics. Maybe that will convince me to finally get 'em for myself. You're going to have to decide whether or not to removing the existing prop once you get them installed. I remember a good argument one time for keeping it but I don't recall the reason why.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I haven't thought about it.... But struts would be nice.......

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have the Redline Tuning set installed, and I love them. Hood prop, what hood prop?

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have the MRT installed very simple to do. You may want an additional person to just to help keep the hood in place took about 5-10 min to do. Looks great. I have pics in my Gallery.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just remember the prop when you close the hood on your buddy's Mustang. Hold on to yours as a replacement. Sounds like a funny, but I've seen it happen on other models.

·
Registered
386 Posts
MRT's are cool cause they sit further back so the hood opens higher & NO modification since they bolt on.

I had mine powder coated to blend in.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I have the Redlines and love 'em. I can't believe Ford doesn't offer them as a option at least.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Looked at both styles,and decided on the Redline Struts. Some drilling involved (4 holes on each side) but if you take your time they look and work great. The other style does not require drilling and does raise the hood more,but I went for the cleaner look for the car shows. Either kit is better than the stock hood prop rod. Good Luck..

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
05capepony said:
Looked at both styles,and decided on the Redline Struts. Some drilling involved (4 holes on each side) but if you take your time they look and work great. The other style does not require drilling and does raise the hood more,but I went for the cleaner look for the car shows. Either kit is better than the stock hood prop rod. Good Luck..
From all these replies, I'm glad I went ahead and spent the extra money on them - figured they'd come in handy! :winks

I like the way the Redline struts mount, but don't they get in the way if you have to lean over the fender to work on the engine? Just curious....

·
Registered
200 Posts
They way the redlines are set they do get in the way some. My solution is to disconnect the one that is in my way and then I can work. You could also disconnect both and use the original hood prop if needed. Still how often do you plan to work on a new engine.

·
Registered
785 Posts
05capepony said:
They way the redlines are set they do get in the way some. My solution is to disconnect the one that is in my way and then I can work. You could also disconnect both and use the original hood prop if needed. Still how often do you plan to work on a new engine.
I just got the redline struts. Can you suggest/point any caveats on the instal? Seems a bit scary to me, but I'm usualy this way until I get going.

·
Registered
713 Posts
looking at the pics the mrt's look like they blend much better plus no drilling...the redline's are way too long looking.

·
Registered
785 Posts
PTLM4LIFE said:
looking at the pics the mrt's look like they blend much better plus no drilling...the redline's are way too long looking.
THe MRTs are a bit more bulky to me. The multi-hole bracket made me look elswhere. The no drilling is a plus though. Oh well, I'm stuck with drilling.....

·
Registered
196 Posts
J&D said:
THe MRTs are a bit more bulky to me. The multi-hole bracket made me look elswhere. The no drilling is a plus though. Oh well, I'm stuck with drilling.....
The directions will say to mark the holes and drill them. I just marked and drilled one hole and put the part on and the rivet in. Then there was no way to miss calculate where the second hole went. Use a center punch before you drill or the bit will slip all over the place. You can install these in less than 30 min. :)

Just saw you are in Houston. If Sugar Land (Greatwood) is convenient, You can come over and I'll help you. Just PM me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Heres a comparison side by side of the redlines and the MRTs..... I chose the MRTs because they dont get in the way AND no drilling ..... But both are good to get rid of that Hood Prop....

Attachments

·
Registered
785 Posts
sandyman said:
Just saw you are in Houston. If Sugar Land (Greatwood) is convenient, You can come over and I'll help you. Just PM me.
Thanks sandyman!! I'll wait until after the next weekend to consider your offer. I'll be out of town next week.

·
Registered
196 Posts
J&D said:
Thanks sandyman!! I'll wait until after the next weekend to consider your offer. I'll be out of town next week.
No prob. If you decide to do it yourself, the directions say to tape the drill bit at a spot that won't let you go in to far ( ones on the hood itself) be sure and do that.

As far as the struts getting in the way, I pulled both cam covers and didn't have a problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
785 Posts
sandyman said:
No prob. If you decide to do it yourself, the directions say to tape the drill bit at a spot that won't let you go in to far ( ones on the hood itself) be sure and do that.
QUOTE]
Yeah, most definetly do that!! I hate to have to instal hoodpins way up because of a wayward hole!!!:laughlitt

Great looking car you have there. The picture will go in my wish list of how I want my car to look someday. This is the picture of my 66 as I sold it.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
For an engine compartment that is almost 40 years old that is very nice. You sold it? :happyhapp :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.