Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly I must admit I bought my Mustang a year old. Dealership showed me all info they had on the car including a Carfax (which I have now found is a pretty bogus program)

Well I found a lump forming on the front of my hood and a body shop said it is corrosion due to some repair being done with a tool that had touched metal.

So I am thinking of just replacing the hood all together. I had a 68 mustang with the turn signals in the hood. I have found there is a shop online that sells it, but its fiberglass. I would like add something unique.

Can anyone share any insight the have switching out the hood? :scratchchin

Thank you for any information!

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
There is a TSB out on the corrosion problem with the hoods. I had to have mine fixed. The TSB is 06-25-15

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would stay away from a lift off hood. They just don't secure to the car well enough. I don't know about you, but a squeaking hood is a major annoyance and many of the lift off will squeak constantly. Make sure you retain your hinge opening, even though it will cost a little more. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
It’s so hard to justify getting a hood for the S197’s. Mustang hoods used to weigh a ton so when you got one it looked cool and it was lighter. Now you could possibly get a glass hood that weighed more than the stock hood. I wanted to get a cowl induction hood when I got my car but getting the hood, paying for shipping and having it painted right is a LOT of money for something that just looks different. A set of wheels would cost less.

And it sounds like your hood will get fixed for free.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It’s so hard to justify getting a hood for the S197’s. Mustang hoods used to weigh a ton so when you got one it looked cool and it was lighter. Now you could possibly get a glass hood that weighed more than the stock hood. I wanted to get a cowl induction hood when I got my car but getting the hood, paying for shipping and having it painted right is a LOT of money for something that just looks different. A set of wheels would cost less.

And it sounds like your hood will get fixed for free.

well the Cervinis website has some nice hoods that fit OEM...Shelby has some hoods that are nice too...again NONE of those are cheap...after its all said and done your looking at over 1200 for paint prep and hardware...NOT CHEAP.

but some things ain't supposed to be...there expensive for a reason.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
What does that mean?:headscratch:

meaning very high quality...in my ruling...if its cheap. its probably not the greatest in quality...some things that have a higher price tag indicates better material selection, build quality and endurance.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
meaning very high quality...in my ruling...if its cheap. its probably not the greatest in quality...some things that have a higher price tag indicates better material selection, build quality and endurance.
Wow, if that isn't taking the long way round..........:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.