Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you mount your hood scoop with tape only or with tape and bolts/nuts? I don't want to drill through the hood and am curious if I can get away with just the tape. Thanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Rousch Hood Scoop

7 holes drilled into the hood along with 3 stripes of 3M tape. I wouldn't recommend tape only.

turboc said:
Did you mount your hood scoop with tape only or with tape and bolts/nuts? I don't want to drill through the hood and am curious if I can get away with just the tape. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just put the Zenon hood scoop on with tape only. There is almost five feet of tape on this scoop. The key is to use a good cleaner and get the hood super clean first. That scoop will never move now. Other people have done the same thing with no problems.

·
Registered
181 Posts
hey oupony, which scoop is that you have? its lookin pretty spiffy

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got the Xenon scoop and I run "tape only". I've had my GT at 150+ with no problems. I used a good wax/grease remover on the hood before mounting the scoop. I really didnt want to cut the hood or add and holes.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I have the Xenon scoop as well. The body shop did the installation when they painted the hood and told me they wouldn't gaurantee it wouldn't come loose with just the tape. The trick is to make sure the surface is clean. Mine was freshly painted. How much cleaner can it get? I did let it bake in the sun for a while and it seems pretty solid. I took some measurements just in case I have to drill a couple of screws in from the underside of the hood. The front edge of the scoop has about a 1" flange. It would be hard to miss with a couple of stainless sheet metal screws.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Roush sent a great template that used the windshield washer ejectors as a guide. The hood is very thin, so drilling with a sharp bit was quick and easy. I think my heart skipped a beat once I pressed down on the automatic hole punch, but in the end, it wasn't difficult at all.

Just be sure to measure twice and punch once, or maybe measure 3 or 4 times like me.:tongue

·
Registered
273 Posts
OUPony said:
Roush sent a great template that used the windshield washer ejectors as a guide. The hood is very thin, so drilling with a sharp bit was quick and easy. I think my heart skipped a beat once I pressed down on the automatic hole punch, but in the end, it wasn't difficult at all.

Just be sure to measure twice and punch once, or maybe measure 3 or 4 times like me.:tongue
the scoop looks awesome OUPony. same one i have on mine. Roush did a fine job on that scoop. and yes.....that template was perfect.
and for anyone mounting a scoop and drilling holes in your hood.....i'd suggress doing as i did.....put a sheet over the engine to catch the shavings. that hood cuts like butter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts