Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There everybody,

Does somebody can help me or have an Hood Tachometer for my Ford 1970 Coupe with an 351Cleveland ? It don't have to be new, used is good to. I search already a long time for a Tachometer...

Best Regards,

Ken

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi guys i bought this one G Body Hood Tach Dixco Style 8000 RPM but there are 3 wires on it a red one a black one and a green one where do i need to connect them (red.black.green one) ? thnx !!!!

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) Typically, that would be black to ground, green to ignition coil and red to a keyed power source, but, I've never seen one of those tachs before, so, it could be that the wire colors are different for that one. Did it not come with instructions? :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello. :) Typically, that would be black to ground, green to ignition coil and red to a keyed power source, but, I've never seen one of those tachs before, so, it could be that the wire colors are different for that one. Did it not come with instructions? :)
nope ... :(

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) I hate it when manufacturers decide to keep things a secret. :gringreen: If the bottom of that tach is removable, you could have a peek in there and see if the black is indeed a ground. If it is, then you can try the green to the coil and red to keyed power. I'm guessing that this tach doesn't have an internal light? :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have one of those "Dixco Style" hood tachometers that I'm considering installing on my 69 Mach 1. The wiring instructions were taped on the box (attached).

I can't find an easy way to open up the case, but, mine doesn't look like it has a light.

Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) If the tach had an internal light there would probably be another wire coming out of it. People don't generally power the tach and the light from the same power source. :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Veronica, if you please, could you tell us what the Ford line of thinking was with this accessory? I have seen them on 69 and 70 Mustangs as well as Torino Cobras and Cougars; but I can't make sense of whether they were a part of a specific package or sold as a dealer-installed option.
Actually, I remember seeing them often on Pontiac GTOs and Firebirds; and I thought they had been modified onto our Fords 'cause they were "cool" (which they are!)

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) First, let me state the disclaimer that I am not nearly as familiar with those new-fangled late model cars, like the 70s, as I am with the 65/66 cars. :) The thinking behind that tach was pretty straight-forward. When a person is trying to mash his/her foot through the floor, running the motor just as hard as they possibly can, it is better to have the tach directly in front of you, so that you can still watch where you are going, rather than staring down at the instrument cluster. :gringreen

The original Ford hood mounted tachs were actually made by Dixco, and were introduced as an option which was a dealer add-on. As far as I know, there weren't any cars that came from the factory with a hood tach, but, they did have a Ford logo on the face, and were manufactured by Dixco for Ford specifically. I'm pretty sure that it was Dixco that made the Pontiac hood tachs, also. I'm, again, pretty sure that these tachs became available at the beginning of the 1970 model year.There could have been some added to later 69 model cars, though. If a dealer had them towards the end of the 69 model year, and somebody wanted to buy one, I can't imagine the dealer doing anything other than happily sell them one. :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Veronica, despite your disclaimer, you are spot on about these tachs. I recently scanned an old MM tech article on how to install one (attached).

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thank you, Veronica and Wade, for your info. I actually have a hood tach (in somewhat rough condition) and with your info I can decide whether to restore and use it or e-bay it to another worthy project.

Wade, I find it interesting that your Mach is a three-spd. I've only known one other and it was a 70.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The 3-speed manual was the standard transmission for the Mach 1 package. Most spent the extra bucks for a four speed or automatic upgrade. The only extra option purchased for my Mach 1 was an AM radio.

Getting back to the hood mounted tach, I just bench tested mine and discovered that it does have an LED light that runs continuously when the tach is powered.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
The 3-speed manual was the standard transmission for the Mach 1 package. Most spent the extra bucks for a four speed or automatic upgrade. The only extra option purchased for my Mach 1 was an AM radio.

Getting back to the hood mounted tach, I just bench tested mine and discovered that it does have an LED light that runs continuously when the tach is powered.
Hi again. :) That three speed manual was the standard transmission for all Mustangs built until the end of the 1970 model year. On cars like the 65 K codes, which didn't come with anything but a 4 speed manual, you had to pay for the 4-speed, even though it was mandatory. It was the same deal on the the Boss 302s and Boss 429s. You had to pay the required upgrades. But, that's better than what Plymouth did on the Superbirds. Any car that came with the HP 440 or the 426 Hemi had a mandatory option of the air-grabber hood in the 70 model year. You had to buy that with the car, but, that hood wouldn't fit a on a Superbird. You had to pay for the upgraded hood that you didn't get. :gringreen

It's a shame that they didn't have LEDs 'back in the day'. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts