Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently had the trufiber gt-s III ram air hood installed. It looks great! Makes the car mean! However I do have one problem. I live in Connecticut, and use the car everyday. The hood has the two vents that allow for air to flow nicley, however its going to allow water and rain to flow onto my engine. The disributer and other nice things I do not want to get ruined are right in the path. I was thinking about eliminating the vents with some plexyglass, or sheet metal. anything is a possibility since my cousin owns the bodyshop. I do not want to eliminate them, but I will if i have to. Fine mesh. I dont know, I have to do something, and do it soon. Any ideas? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Maybe you could do something like what the SHR flush mount 1/4 window louvers have for your hood vents. You could keep the cool look of them, but have them closed off to prevent water from accumulating.

R

·
0 Posts
yeah, you gotta' close those vents/hood openings off, otherwise you'll be spending alot of $$$ on COP's

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
I don't know if you could fabricate something to direct the water further to the side away from the engine.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I wouldn't totally close them off if they are functional. I'd rig up some kind of way you can open them when it's nice, but close them when it rains.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Can you take a picture of the distributor that would get wet?

·
Registered
481 Posts
pics pics pics pics pics

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I don't know what the scoops look like, but would it be possible to carve some foam into a shape that is slightly larger than the opening and slip it in there when you want to keep the water out, even when washing? Use some denser stuff and it will seal well.

Frank

·
Registered
44 Posts
You could probably use two small aluminum baking pans (stiff construction), drill a hole in the appropriate corner and install a small diameter nylon bulkhead with some plastic air tubing (3/8" or something) and zip tie it to run where ever you'd like. To mount the pans, epoxy some small aluminum angle tabs to the underside of the hood and you could screw the pans to as this would facillitate removal.
You could put some elbow grease into it and probably polish the pans (or just paint them your favorite color) and run billet mounting tabs and make it look good if that's important to you (but of course it is, that's why you got the hood....right)!
I do believe this might be a practical and very affordable way to do this.
You might even be able to make cornbread while you drive!

ps. maybe some weatherstripping around the pan lip to ensure proper seal and eliminate vibration issues.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The Trufiber GTS-3 hood should have shipped with covers that are held in place on the underside of the hood by screws in the lower lip of the bottom of the louvers. Mine was shipped with them on the hood and I removed them prior to having the hood painted. Some guys drill a hole in the rear of the covers and glue (or silicone) a hose (1/4"-3/8" i.d.) in place to route the water away for drainage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.