Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 88 GT and put hooker aero chambers because it had no mufflers and stock h-pipe. With the hookers it had a quiet somewhat high pitched rev. Then I installed bbk shorties and a o/r h pipe. Definitely got louder, but now I'm determined to get louder so I ordered american thunder cat back. I lost some low end torque with header h pipe change but it revs faster with more mph per gear. Wondering if the flowmasters will give some torque over hookers?

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
IMO, anything flowmaster is sub-par to other aftermarket parts like Hooker and magnaflow. Flowmaster does produce more noise but I've always found it to be too much noise for the distance you drive. For example you make a whole crapload of noise and you've only gone 20 feet.

I am very happy with my magnaflow mufflers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have Flowmaster 40 Series 2 chambers and they are plenty loud. When I had them installed I had the guy put a set of single chambers on and it actually hurt to listen to them. So if you are looking for wicked loud, go with the singles. Think of it like this... Do you want a cool sounding exhaust or do you want a constant headache and fix it tickets? If I had it to do again I'd have gotten Magnaflows.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What about glass packs. I have cherry bombs on my 79 F-250 with a 400 big block, but in all honesty I never liked the sound of cherry bombs on a small block. I was thinking something along the lines of Hollywoods, or Turbo Tubes. The sound I am looking for is a deep throaty rumbling at idle, and something that just sounds like pure raw (loud) horsepower at rev. What would you guys recomend, so far I am leaning towards Hollywoods.

Has anyone tried no mufflers at all on their exhaust setups, just straight pipes (cept for the cats of course). I know that 460's sound incredible with straight pipes but somehow I doubt a 302 small block will sound quite as wicked.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have if you are fairly young and like tickets you could go with straight pipes but if you thought flows were loud you havent heard any thing i run straights on my ranger that has a 302 in it its not worth it sucks and yes the 302 doesnt sound like a 460 buts it all right i wounldnt do again though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.