Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i am now trying to hook up a tach and oil pressure sensor to my car. i have the 351W automatic. where do i hook up the tach sensor wire? and what kind of oil pressure guage should i get that will work with the sender on the car? all it has now is the idiot lights. thanks

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The tach will rea doff the coil post. It should have isntructions for this.

You can't use the stock sender with a gauge. The stock sender is just an on-off switch. The new electric gauge will come with the proper sender. It goes in the same hole as the stock on-off sender. BUT, it's a lot bigger. It won;t fit in that tight space. You can't just screw it into the hole; you'll need an extension piece. You can use the sotck Ford piece, which I don't like. Or you can make your own.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here is a pic that shows the "stock" style extension and sending unit.

.Bob...just out of curiosity, why the T just before the angle fitting. What do you use the port on the side of the T for?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I probably shouldn't admit this. But I used the T fitting because I had it lying around. It was free and it worked. Then later I needed to clear a crank case vacuum pump, so I added the 45* fitting.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I probably shouldn't admit this. But I used the T fitting because I had it lying around. It was free and it worked. Then later I needed to clear a crank case vacuum pump, so I added the 45* fitting.
Hey...nothin' wrong with a little ******* engineering now and then to get out of another trip to the parts store! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello MRgibs121, where you able to hook up the tach? i tried mine but the engine shoots down, in a closer look to the tach the input lines go to the primary of a tranformator, so by hooking it up in paralell to the coil poses a lower resistance path so makes sense that the engine shoots down, my guess is that we need a resistor or someother component do decouple the tach,

inputs?
regards
Luis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.