Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for some new slicks and I've been debating on getting some Mickey Thompson ET Street Drag Radials. I've been using Hoosier Quick Time Pro's, (which are DOT slicks), and I have no complaints. They hook good and wear well. I want to switch to a drag radial so I could drive back and forth to the track (1/2 hr. each way) instead of having to change the tires at the track. I use to have Nitto's about 4 years ago and they worked pretty good, but my old motor was 100 horses less than what I'm running right now.
I just don't want to buy the Drag Radials, and have inconsistant launches and spin off the line. I bracket race this car.
I normally launch at 4000-5000 RPM"s

Has anyone used both tire types for a comparison?
Any experienced opinions would be great!
Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1993 GT Mustang / Ford Racing GT-40 Crate Motor B-303 Cam / Tremec T-5Z / 4.30 Gears / Detroit Locker / Moser 31 Spline Axles/ Subframe Connectors / BMR Upper and Lower Control Arms / Lakewood Adjustable Drag Shocks/

Best ¼ Mile Time – 13.18 @ 104mph

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
If you bracket race than go with the M/T's. The Nittos are good tires that last a good amount of time but for ultimate hook the M/T's are the best out there as far as drag radials go, not sure if they could go heads up with slicks but I've heard some people say they're pretty close. With the Nittos I usually have to ease it out the hole on the juice after that they hook good down the track, but if I just dump it it will spin the tires pretty good.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wondering if the M/T Drag Radials wouldn't hook as well as the Hoosier Quck Time Pro's.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
My Mickey`s are toast now, and after a lot of research I am going with them again. I thought about the M&H drag radial,just because they are little taller for the 17 inch rim. I will stick with what I know works.:bigthumbsup
One thing cool about the Hoosier`s, I saw a guy last night who wrote on them after Hoosier .. Daddy.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I ran my QTP's last friday and they are great. Myh bro has M/T's and they are good also. I guess its a personnal preference?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I would go with the MT drag radials. Your can drive on them to and from the track. MT's are far better in the rain that Nittos or BFG drag radials. Hoosier drag radials are very much like QTP's and are really are unsafe to drive on the street. Both Nitto and BFG drag radials are unforgiving when they start to spin. There is no recovery once you turn these tires. When my current set of BFG need replaceing I plan to go with MT. I have heard nothing but good about MT drag radials. I have to say on my bracket car I love QTP's. Always hook great and due to the sidewall wrinkle RT's are very adjustable with rear tire air pressure. I take that your dumping the clutch (bracket racing) so I would recommend getting a tire with as much sidewall as possible. On my bracket car (95 Firebird) I run 27x10.50-15LT QTP's. The Mustang has 275/40R17 BFG's. I have used Nitto Drag Radials, BFG Drag Radials, Hoosier Drag Radials, ET Streets, and Hoosier QTP tires. I will be running Mickey Drag Radials by mid July.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
ive got hoosiers and i dont have any complaints about them. Ive never had any traction issues at the track. Ive also heard great things about the MT!

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I will let you know after tonight! I have a brand new set of MT ET Streets waiting to get abused tonight at the track. :happydance::happyhapp:happydance::bigthumbsup

·
Registered
65 Posts
just got rid of my M/t's and put on some Hoosier drag radials and wow I love these hoosier's... 1.39 60' they just seem to hook better and do not take mutch to heat them up a short burnout is all they need..

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
all I run is M/T's

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The M/T's don't spin. I launch around 4-5K also and them suckers grab every time. Problem for me is keeping my rpms up after launch. I almost wish they'd spin just a little bit.

R

·
0 Posts
The M/T's don't spin. I launch around 4-5K also and them suckers grab every time. Problem for me is keeping my rpms up after launch. I almost wish they'd spin just a little bit.
raise the air pressure couple of pounds.....

that will help.....

sounds like you are "dead hooking"

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
yep its dead hooking......

raise the air pressure & your launch rpm a little......

is your tcs turned off......:headscratch:

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
yep its dead hooking......

raise the air pressure & your launch rpm a little......

is your tcs turned off......:headscratch:

That's what I figured. Yep, TCS is of permanently. Are you kidding...with Nitrous ?

R

·
0 Posts
That's what I figured. Yep, TCS is of permanently. Are you kidding...with Nitrous ?
I race an Ol' Antique Fox Body

Don't have all that new fangled stuff.....:laugh:

it was a legitimate question about the TCS .....

You will be surprised how many actually leave it on......

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
One of the biggest problems people new to drag racing face is ho to leave the line properly.

I think that the TCS gives them a false sense of correction for that problem.

So yeah, it's common to see people run with their TCS on.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
One of the biggest problems people new to drag racing face is ho to leave the line properly.

I think that the TCS gives them a false sense of correction for that problem.

So yeah, it's common to see people run with their TCS on.

Yep, big time and even more so with a manual. I had mine turned off in the tune. I got the little squigly marks on the dash, but it doesn't bother me. When I had the car tuned for nitrous, my tuner asked me if I wanted it turned off permanently and I said yes without hesitation. Spraying with TCS on would be disastrous to say the least. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.