Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, if there's a location for introductions, please direct me there. I looked briefly and didn't see anything.

Secondly, I tend to write, well....a lot, but I try to keep it interesting.

Regardless, I'm hoping to join you all in the Mustang club within the year. Right now, I'm driving my 2003 Saab 9-3 and as much as I like my car, I'm looking to finish off my car loan and then accumulate enough funds to give myself a reasonable down payment on my very own Mustang.

I've been through Ford's online build-a-'stang so many times I could do it with my eyes closed, and I've settled on either a Performance White or Kona Blue Metallic V6 Basic Mustang with Automatic transmission and 3.31 Rear Axle Ratio. It MSRPs around 24,500 smackaroos. I opted for the basic for two reasons: 1) I'm a minimalist and don't like a lot of gadgets in my car. 2.) Its quite a bit cheaper. It is mostly the former than the latter, however. The standard features on the bottom-line Mustang are equal to or greater than my current car.

Not to mention that with gas at around $3.60 where I am, I'd rather not be driving my Saab that gets only 17/23 mileage. In other words, the Mustang puts out a bit less than twice the horsepower and it's worst mileage is my cars best.

I've done my research and no matter what source I got to, it seems that the Mustang stands high above the competition. Chevy's Camaro (which I will from this point on refer to as: The 'C' Word) looks alright, but I want a car that is as light as possible and that I can actually see out of.

Throughout my internet research escapes I've run across this forum a bunch and it seems like a good group of guys and gals here. So if all goes well and I follow my financial regiment faithfully, I hope to be a real part of the group within the year. There are two things that I'd just like to ask you folks before I end this thread.

1.) Seeing as I'm only 20 right now, and will likely be either 21 or 22 when I actually purchase a new car, I'm not sure how badly I expect my insurance to go up. I have a totally clean driving record and what I'm driving now is technically considered a sports sedan. How much jump (if any) did you guys see in your insurance when you joined the Mustang club?

2.) What colors do you guys like the most? I loved the Lava Red Metallic when I could select it as an option on Ford's website, but I don't see it anymore. My second choice would be White. Seems classy but not wimpy either. Third Choice is the wonderful Kona Blue.

See you all out in the forums!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
First off, if there's a location for introductions, please direct me there. I looked briefly and didn't see anything.

Secondly, I tend to write, well....a lot, but I try to keep it interesting.

Regardless, I'm hoping to join you all in the Mustang club within the year. Right now, I'm driving my 2003 Saab 9-3 and as much as I like my car, I'm looking to finish off my car loan and then accumulate enough funds to give myself a reasonable down payment on my very own Mustang.

I've been through Ford's online build-a-'stang so many times I could do it with my eyes closed, and I've settled on either a Performance White or Kona Blue Metallic V6 Basic Mustang with Automatic transmission and 3.31 Rear Axle Ratio. It MSRPs around 24,500 smackaroos. I opted for the basic for two reasons: 1) I'm a minimalist and don't like a lot of gadgets in my car. 2.) Its quite a bit cheaper. It is mostly the former than the latter, however. The standard features on the bottom-line Mustang are equal to or greater than my current car.

Not to mention that with gas at around $3.60 where I am, I'd rather not be driving my Saab that gets only 17/23 mileage. In other words, the Mustang puts out a bit less than twice the horsepower and it's worst mileage is my cars best.

I've done my research and no matter what source I got to, it seems that the Mustang stands high above the competition. Chevy's Camaro (which I will from this point on refer to as: The 'C' Word) looks alright, but I want a car that is as light as possible and that I can actually see out of.

Throughout my internet research escapes I've run across this forum a bunch and it seems like a good group of guys and gals here. So if all goes well and I follow my financial regiment faithfully, I hope to be a real part of the group within the year. There are two things that I'd just like to ask you folks before I end this thread.

1.) Seeing as I'm only 20 right now, and will likely be either 21 or 22 when I actually purchase a new car, I'm not sure how badly I expect my insurance to go up. I have a totally clean driving record and what I'm driving now is technically considered a sports sedan. How much jump (if any) did you guys see in your insurance when you joined the Mustang club?

2.) What colors do you guys like the most? I loved the Lava Red Metallic when I could select it as an option on Ford's website, but I don't see it anymore. My second choice would be White. Seems classy but not wimpy either. Third Choice is the wonderful Kona Blue.

See you all out in the forums!
Lots of good cars out there for 25-30K. Don't let the stang blind you, there are certainly other worthy choices out there. It is not the end all be all. I could lose my 5.0 tomorrow and I wouldn't cry; I'd be pissed if my insurance didn't pay though!

Good luck with the car hunt.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Lots of good cars out there for 25-30K. Don't let the stang blind you, there are certainly other worthy choices out there. It is not the end all be all. I could lose my 5.0 tomorrow and I wouldn't cry; I'd be pissed if my insurance didn't pay though!

Good luck with the car hunt.
I would back this statement. I recently just sold my last Stang and picked up something a little more economical. My last tank of gas I averaged 33MPG and I couldn't be happier!

As far as your insurance, expect it to get up quite a bit from what its at now. That will happen with any new car though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I will through in my 2 cents. Yes there are other cars out here in the price range of the mustang, but they in my opinion they are just cars basic transportation. There is something about Mustangs just can't quite explain. I love my 2012 mustang v6. I did my shopping around and at the end I had to have the Mustang. Goog luck if you get yours.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I agree the Mustang is a very solid choice. It easily beats out the Camaro and Challenger, primarily due to weight. Although the Hyundai Genesis Coupe gives it a run for its money.

If you have a year to check things out, I would recommend looking into a few cars which have yet to see the light of day. The Ford Focus ST is coming out in the spring of 2012 I believe, with about 250hp on tap. It should be a fun little car to toss around. Another one, which has just been receiving attention is the Fiesta ST which is rumored to come to the US. Expect about 180-200hp in a lightweight Fiesta. I would imagine it will get some pretty decent MPGs as well : ) Lastly, while I'm not much of a Scion fan, the new Scion FR-S (was FT-86) looks pretty promising too. There is supposed to be a Subaru version as well. Underneath the skins they will most likely be the same mechanically and from what I've read the engine is mounted very low to the ground to help the CG. I believe they said about 200hp which will be plenty for a car that weighs around 2500-2700 lbs. Aside from the decent amount of power, this car should handle very well, which I think will be the main reason for wanting to buy one.

Lastly, I'd look into the Hyundai Sonata Turbo. With 274hp and a luxurious cabin you might want to look into this one...

Anyways, I don't want to discourage you from buying the Mustang, but there are a lot of very nice cars out there these days which you might to check out first.

Good luck with whatever you decide! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Ignore the haters, follow your gut... if your gut says Mustang, get one. I did and I am damn glad of it.

Coincidentally I ordered white and was expecting to be sort of low profile in it, wrong! I had a stranger come up to me in a parking lot earlier this week just to tell me the white was the perfect color for this car. I have had some sporty wheels in the past but have never driven anything that gets as many looks, points, and stares. I didn't buy it for that but have to admit it's sort of fun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello, I recently joined the Mustang club myself (purchased a 2012 V6 Premium manual on Monday - race red) - seeing as how you live in NJ I thought I would give you some insight into my insurance rates.

Before even purchasing a vehicle I did a lot of insurance shopping. I have always been on my parents insurance (24 currently) with Allstate. They wanted 220 a month to insure me with the Mustang!

Most other quotes were around 150-180, but Geico quoted me at 106 a month. It was unbelievably low, so I actually pulled up the VIN for the car I was going to look at on Monday and "purchased" the insurance to ensure the rate was legitimate. Indeed, it was.

I was paying 80 a month with Allstate for my 98 Hyundai Accent with no collision - an extra 26 bucks a month to be on my own policy, with a 2012 Mustang, and collision? Can't complain about that one bit. (Yea, insurance is stupid expensive in New Jersey).

I am 6 months away from the usual cutoff for lower insurance rates (25) - so my current thinking is that either Geico has the cutoff slightly lower than most insurers, or they take credit score into account (I am in the high 700's with all three major bureaus) more strongly than the other agencies I got quotes from.

At 20-21, in NJ, with a brand new Mustang - I would expect to pay about 200 a month easily on top of your car payment.

EDIT:
When you go shopping for a new car more seriously - get quotes on two different VIN's. One with the 3.31 and one totally stock. I wouldn't be surprised to see it make a difference - though it would probably be pretty slight.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
"haters" .... what an overused and wornout word. The simple fact is, there are lots of cars out there to choose from in the pricerange you are looking at... some that are MUCH better on the inside.

If you are actually road tracking regularly, I'd get the Mustang. For day to day driving, it lacks many basic comforts that other cars in the pricerange will offer. Even in its "premium" form, it has lots of rough edges and unless you have Ford/Mustang blinders on, you'll notice pretty quickly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
idk how insurance rates compare from Alaska to NJ, but i turn 21 in sept, i have gotten multiple quotes from State Farm, mainly cause i can't believe the price and i just wantt o make sure it is correct before i go and buy it.

all of these quotes are not at the 6 month premium:

2012 v6 base - 111 a month
'12 v8 base - 126/month
'12 gt500 - 144/month
'12 boss base - 132/month

all quotes with full coverage, 100 comp/1000 collision (these might be backwords now that i think about it). and i'm on my own insurance, one accident i don't think its being counted against me, i have 1 speeding ticket (from leaving a construction zone -.-), and one reckless driving from changing lanes twice within 5 miles without a turn signal =\.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Sgt. Toadette- First of all, welcome!
Secondly,You had me at the "C" word
Lastly- I'm going to go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt. In other words, I think you've looked at (more than Likely) most of the other cars these "experts" have so kindly advised you to buy instead of the Mustang. Advice they have given you on a Mustang website.... I'm going to have to rethink my use of the term "expert".
Buy what you like.
BTW- I have a Fiesta daily driver. I'm getting over 44 MPG with it and to even begin to think , even with the 180 hp Eco-Boost said to be coming out, that it could compare or replace in any way the total Mustang experience is just stupid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the advice guys. I actually have looked a lot at other vehicles, I just didn't mention it much because, well, it's a Mustang forum. Right now though, if insurance proves to be a real killer for me, I'd be happy with a Chrysler 200 with a nice new V6, a Titanium Focus, or maybe even a Sonata. The Focus ST that's coming out soon would be perfect, but I'm one of the newer generation kids who never had the chance to learn how to drive a manual transmission, which I believe is the only option on the ST.

To me a car is meant to get me from point A to B as efficiently as possible. "Luxuries" really don't appeal to me and all I really feel like I need is a CD player and A/C. I have a Garmin now and don't need to pay 2k extra for a mounted version. Everything else seems to be a distraction from the driving experience. That's why I love the basic V6 Mustang so much and why I would want to go with it.

I still have a year or two to decide before I get my current car paid off. Only time will tell but I'm excited to stick around here and here what Mustang owners have to say! Doesn't get much better than that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.