Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I have a 1965 Coupe. It is completely rewired with 1966 wiring harnesses (complete- all wires- front to back)
Now when I put the steering wheel back on (original and reproduction) the horn blows continuously.
The turn signal/horn switch is a new reproduction.
The turn signals work correctly.
Any ideas?
thanks
Bravoman

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
You need to look at the contacts and slip ring setup. Seems the wheel is pressing on something and making the contact continuous rather than spring loaded open.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) It could be that the spring-loaded contact in the turn signal switch that has the wire taking power out to the horns is a little bit tweeked and is making contact with both rings on the back of the steering wheel. :)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
You could also have the wires on the contact the wrong way around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had this same problem, my steering wheel was old and I tried to repair but it was a little tweaked causing the horn rings to make contact. New steering wheel resolved it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
do you have the horn rim installed when it is blowing or just the steering wheel without the horn rim? I had a similar problem when I installed the horn rim, the rubber insulator in the horn assembly was worn and compressed. I replaced the parts and problem was solved.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Veronica- the horn sounds with both the original steering wheel and the reproduction wheel.

Also, it occurs with just the steering wheel in place (without the horn button/3 spoked center piece)

bravoman

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) I just realized that I never got back to you on this. Oops. :D That would just about have to be the contact that is attached to the wire going out to the horns from the turn signal switch. It might be a little bent or something, but, it must be making contact with both of the rings on the back of the steering wheels. :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
solution

The horn problem is fixed. The two contacts were touching as I tightened down the steering wheel (as suspected by the forum). Here is why. I installed a rack and pinion power steering unit and had to cut the lower end of the column for proper installation. The kit also comes with a new steering shaft. The shaft sticks out of the column a little farther than the stock shaft. So, when tightening down the steering wheel , the contacts were compressed more than needed and 1 (maybe both) of the contacts would bend to complete the circuit.

One washer on the steering wheel side of the shaft spring solved the problem. The steering wheel is completely on the splines. The nut is completely on the shaft with 3 thread showing- so the steering wheel is safely installed.

Thanks to all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts