Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 v6 5 speed has a drop in k&n filter, a single flowmaster, and some cobra r rims with 275s in back and 255s in front.

I did a 12.2 best with my friend riding and timing me on his iPod. I also had 3/4 tank of gas.

What times should I be getting? I know a friend with an iPod isn't extremely accurate, but isn't a 12 insanely slow?

Also I'm not the best or even a good standard driver but I didn't think I was bad enough to get 12s. What's the trick to the launch and shifting?

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
there is no way it could be 12 seconds, get a better timing device, 8-9 might be reasonable

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We timed from when I took off to when I hit 60. There's no way his hand is slow enough to add 3 extra seconds.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Launch at about 1800-2000, you can go a little past redline but not to much, shift as quick as possible, if you have enough balls try powershifting, warning it's possible to break something doing power shifts, but really that's about it, just shift fast and launch hard

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks bud, I have bigger wheels does that effect anything?
And my friend has a 2000 BMw 328ci and he was getting times in the tens with the method we used. His is auto. Same situation with my other friend and his 07 impala. All of these are 7-8 second cars in the 0-60.

Idk what the problem is. we used two different iPhones.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Yes bigger wheels will cause it to be slower, more weight to move, especially rotational mass such as wheels, flywheel, and driveshaft, the lighter the better :bigthumbsup

To get accurate times go to the track, only way to know for sure

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bigger wider or bigger taller? Either way adds mass that doesn't want to start to move when you do.

Bigger taller and your spedo is also wrong (slow). You are effectively adding an 'overdrive' to the final drive ratio.

I went from 205/50R16's to 235/55ZR17's and my new tires are quite a bit taller (3") than the originals. ...but dang they look good!

I went from smoking the R16's to a noticeably slower takeoff time - and no wheel spin.

During a tire discussion davidcseifert pointed me here:
Tire size calculator

Plug in the stock tire size and what you currently have.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Timing with an iphone is about as accurate as using a sundial. Go to a track.........

R

·
0 Posts
A better way to time it, if you don't have the track near by, is to film your gauges then go back later in some video software and count that way. Find when the needle starts moving and when you hit sixty. Split the difference.
My old '01 with 17" Bullitts, 3.73 gears, T-Lok, Hurst shifter, divorced duals with Cherry Bomb Extremes, and a 91 BAMAChips race tune. I think I got right around 7-8 seconds without launching the car and no powershifting.

YouTube - ‪2001 Mustang 3.8L w/Cherry Bomb Extremes #1‬‏

YouTube - ‪2001 Mustang 3.8L w/Cherry Bomb Extremes #2‬‏

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks I think I'll try that today. What wheels do you recommend then to get me lighter? As long as they're 5 spoke I guess they will have to do.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
A better way to time it, if you don't have the track near by, is to film your gauges then go back later in some video software and count that way. Find when the needle starts moving and when you hit sixty. Split the difference.
My old '01 with 17" Bullitts, 3.73 gears, T-Lok, Hurst shifter, divorced duals with Cherry Bomb Extremes, and a 91 BAMAChips race tune. I think I got right around 7-8 seconds without launching the car and no powershifting.

YouTube - ‪2001 Mustang 3.8L w/Cherry Bomb Extremes #1‬‏

YouTube - ‪2001 Mustang 3.8L w/Cherry Bomb Extremes #2‬‏
agree I timed it with my Iphone and got 7.4 secs...

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
Thanks I think I'll try that today. What wheels do you recommend then to get me lighter? As long as they're 5 spoke I guess they will have to do.
lighter? It would be a minimal gain...if you have 17s or something like that, then they reduce your effective rear gear ratio...still it shouldn't be anywhere near 12, that is golf cart slow

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just did it. I think I got like 9 seconds.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Not bad for an ok standard driver with big rims :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Really? Haha:/

Where did you get those white face gauges? I don't like the ones on american muscle because of the red and blue numbers.

R

·
0 Posts
Really? Haha:/

Where did you get those white face gauges? I don't like the ones on american muscle because of the red and blue numbers.
They were on the car when I got them. However, I have seen them on eBay.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How much are they on eBay? And do the cobra wheels kill my car that bad? If so, then what's the best for performance?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh wow that's definitely next.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts