Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I searched and couldn't find any rough estimates so I thought I would just ask. Does anyone have a rough estimate from experience what the stock 4.6l 2v engine will take? I would like to have this serve as an approximate guide to eveyone. Anyone that has any information on this, please feel free to post for everyone's advantage. Stock as in no built up internals or anything. I am trying to find out how far the engine can go with what can be bolted on and such (ie. supercahrgers turbos). Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I don't know from personal expierience but I've heard 400 rwhp is about the max being safe that is. But I have heard of some people getting 450 rwhp and using it conservativly it can hold together for a while. 500+ rwhp and you will pop it for sure, good tune or not. The main thing is the tune though, getting the A/F ratio just right all way through.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I think 400rwhp is a pretty good number to keep in mind.
However, if you get built .... you can worry less. :thumbsup

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so 400hp is safe on stock everything. How much could it handle if it were built?

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
that depends on what you consider built. If you think of built as replacing the known weakpoints now ( i.e. pistons, connecting rods and crank) then you could push 600+. After that I think these blocks start to twist, which we all know is bad. So if you consider built to include a stronger block, you could go as high as you want, the only limit would be how much you're gonna spend.

·
Registered
342 Posts
BlueStreak03 said:
that depends on what you consider built. If you think of built as replacing the known weakpoints now ( i.e. pistons, connecting rods and crank) then you could push 600+. After that I think these blocks start to twist, which we all know is bad. So if you consider built to include a stronger block, you could go as high as you want, the only limit would be how much you're gonna spend.

Im not totally sure where you are getting your information from but these blocks do not twist at 600hp. John mihovetz makes over 2k on his mod motor and he uses a factory ford aluminum block. The iron blocks are just as strong.

The limit totally depends on RPM and cylinder pressure since thats how your rods are rated. For example manley rods are good to 700hp at 6k or 800hp at 5k or 1000 at 4k. The stock cobra forged crank is pretty damn strong and there are many many many cobra owners out there running whipples and kenne bells on the stock shortblock pushing 5-6-700hp to the wheels with no problems.

Now before someone jumps in about a cobra motor keep in mind that a 03-04 cobra block is the same identical block as an 03-04 GT. The only difference is the manley rods forged pistons and forged crank.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thndr13 said:
Ok so 400hp is safe on stock everything. How much could it handle if it were built?
No thats not true.

400hp is safe until you have one little bit of detonation. At that point the cylinder pressures skyrocket and your snapped a rod or a broken piston.

People get away with it and if you want to go for it but at that power level the odds of something in the crap bottom end to go are not in your favor.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
qwkstang97 said:
Im not totally sure where you are getting your information from but these blocks do not twist at 600hp. John mihovetz makes over 2k on his mod motor and he uses a factory ford aluminum block. The iron blocks are just as strong.

The limit totally depends on RPM and cylinder pressure since thats how your rods are rated. For example manley rods are good to 700hp at 6k or 800hp at 5k or 1000 at 4k. The stock cobra forged crank is pretty damn strong and there are many many many cobra owners out there running whipples and kenne bells on the stock shortblock pushing 5-6-700hp to the wheels with no problems.

Now before someone jumps in about a cobra motor keep in mind that a 03-04 cobra block is the same identical block as an 03-04 GT. The only difference is the manley rods forged pistons and forged crank.

This man's on top of his game! Good advice.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
It's all good. I thought I had heard of some people having issues with block twist around those levels though. Are you sure he hasn't done any reinforcing on his block? With a girdle and some reinforcing under the intake, I'm sure these blocks are good for ridiculous amounts of power.

I thought the GT's had an iron block and the Cobras were Aluminum?

·
Registered
4 Posts
There's a small write up in the tech section of Mustangs and Fast Fords this month on max power for the 2v. It said 400 is no prblems as long as the tuning is good.

·
Registered
342 Posts
BlueStreak03 said:
It's all good. I thought I had heard of some people having issues with block twist around those levels though. Are you sure he hasn't done any reinforcing on his block? With a girdle and some reinforcing under the intake, I'm sure these blocks are good for ridiculous amounts of power.

I thought the GT's had an iron block and the Cobras were Aluminum?
Nah the main problems people under 800hp run into is fueling/tuning issues. The cobras have a problem with pistons seizing in the block but thats a whole other story and its a clearance issue from the factory.

Im sure he does use a main girdle but the one and only pic I saw of his motor with the intake off there was nothing done.

yes the cobras were aluminum but from 96-01 only. In 99 the windsor aluminum plant started making the aluminum blocks instead of the teksid italy plant. For 03 ford realized that the WAP blocks were nowhere near as strong as the teksid blocks so they went back to the iron GT block.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Well that clears it up for me, thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.