Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question, I have always wondered if a special pliers is used or available for removing the factory radiator clamps. Also, I wonder what is the best clamp to use, I read someplace that the worm drive clamps put uneven pressure on the parts and for years I thought they were best. Always trying to learn!

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Those work fine, but there are hose clamp pliers out there that are better at not slipping. The cable type ones are especially nice for hard-to reach clamps, but I've heard that even the expensive ones wear out after a while.

As for the clamps themselves, it depends on the application. OEM spring-type clamps are indeed good for distributing even pressure. But they can become weak, especially if flexed open too far during removal. A worm-gear clamp will hold better. You also might want to look into T-bolt clamps, which are sometimes equipped with springs. T-bolts are great if you have room for them.

·
2,806 Posts
Simple question, I have always wondered if a special pliers is used or available for removing the factory radiator clamps. Also, I wonder what is the best clamp to use, I read someplace that the worm drive clamps put uneven pressure on the parts and for years I thought they were best. Always trying to learn!
I hate these type of clamps. haha Great question on special tool though. As stated there is a special tool, but from what I hear from my mechanic friends these clamps are still a pain even with the tool.

Good point. It's always fun when one slips out and shoots halfway across the garage.
+1 haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts