Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have had the Hot Rod Cams installed for about a 2 months on an Auto Trans with 3.73 gears and I keep getting the check engine light coming on. I hooked my Diablo up to it and the codes that it is throwing is a Misfire in the Cylinders at the first 1000 revolutions, Failed to complete some kind of test, and Misfire of the Cylinders on startup. I wrote the actual code numbers down but, I can't find them at the moment. When the check engine light comes on, I clear it with my tuner and it stays off for like a week or longer( but which I only drive the car on the weekends to car shows only). Also, I was driving down the road the other day and was just messing around with another Mustang on the road and I was going about 55mph and I took Overdrive off and punched it down and it seemed like it did not pull or set me back or anything like it usually does it just gained speed. Maybe it was because I was already out of my passing gears and it was just in the highest gear I dunno. But I just need some help with figuring out if I should put it back on the dyno to figure out the problem or if I could save that money and fix it myself??

Here are the mods: Hod Rod Cams, Hooker Super Comp. Longtube headers, custom made o/r x-pipe, flowmaster 40 series, bbk 62mm throttle body, bbk udp, k &n CAI, dyno tuned 93 octane race tune by Doug with Bamachips, 3,73 gears, delete plates

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
I have had the Hot Rod Cams installed for about a 2 months on an Auto Trans with 3.73 gears and I keep getting the check engine light coming on. I hooked my Diablo up to it and the codes that it is throwing is a Misfire in the Cylinders at the first 1000 revolutions, Failed to complete some kind of test, and Misfire of the Cylinders on startup. I wrote the actual code numbers down but, I can't find them at the moment. When the check engine light comes on, I clear it with my tuner and it stays off for like a week or longer( but which I only drive the car on the weekends to car shows only). Also, I was driving down the road the other day and was just messing around with another Mustang on the road and I was going about 55mph and I took Overdrive off and punched it down and it seemed like it did not pull or set me back or anything like it usually does it just gained speed. Maybe it was because I was already out of my passing gears and it was just in the highest gear I dunno. But I just need some help with figuring out if I should put it back on the dyno to figure out the problem or if I could save that money and fix it myself??

Here are the mods: Hod Rod Cams, Hooker Super Comp. Longtube headers, custom made o/r x-pipe, flowmaster 40 series, bbk 62mm throttle body, bbk udp, k &n CAI, dyno tuned 93 octane race tune by Doug with Bamachips, 3,73 gears, delete plates
Ditch that junk TB and have someone check the cam timing. They are all over the place stock and with those cams if it's off it will cause all sorts of problems. Those cams have too much overlap. If the timing is out and making more or one bank is a lot different than the other it will throw codes and idle like crap.

·
Registered
60 Posts
100% tune related - been there a few times.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys!! I was thinking about the tune as well but I just wanted to see if anyone else has had any problems like this with their cams as well. The idle doesn't sound like it has changed any as far as sound! It still idles real choppy and lopey and it runs fine after I clear the codes but after a while the check engine light comes back on. My next question is since it is tune related do I need to just put it back on the Dyno to tweak it to the correct timing and let Doug from Bamachips fix it since he is the one that custom tuned it in the first place??? or can I fix it with my tuner myself???

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys!! I was thinking about the tune as well but I just wanted to see if anyone else has had any problems like this with their cams as well. The idle doesn't sound like it has changed any as far as sound! It still idles real choppy and lopey and it runs fine after I clear the codes but after a while the check engine light comes back on. My next question is since it is tune related do I need to just put it back on the Dyno to tweak it to the correct timing and let Doug from Bamachips fix it since he is the one that custom tuned it in the first place??? or can I fix it with my tuner myself???
IMO a custom dyno tune will HotRods, LT headers and TB is a must..:winks

·
Registered
60 Posts

My mail order JDM tune was the best tune to date and is spot on even with the hot rods and supercharger.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
My mail order JDM tune was the best tune to date and is spot on even with the hot rods and supercharger.
this^^^^^^^ has me aggravated to no end :( I had tried 4 JDM tunes and the best my car on their tune was about 75% to the good. Chris Rose and I are working on a tune and we are around 90% to the good already. I have no idea why JDM couldnt get it better? Jim wanted me to come up their but right now thats impossible. I really dont want that 5 hrs drive up there either.
Im looking foward to Chris getting the final updates together :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Now that I know that I have to put it back on the dyno to get it fixed.... After I added the hot rod cams and put it on the dyno the first run I picked up 34 rwhp and once we tweaked it a little bit the final number that I got out of the cams was 52 rwhp...Which really WOWed me because I wasn't expecting but about 20-30 based on what all the other people were saying. Alot of people say that they have lost bottom end torque but I actually gained 26 rwtq with these cams.What kind of numbers did you guys pick up from the cams and the new tune that you used???

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Now that I know that I have to put it back on the dyno to get it fixed.... After I added the hot rod cams and put it on the dyno the first run I picked up 34 rwhp and once we tweaked it a little bit the final number that I got out of the cams was 52 rwhp...Which really WOWed me because I wasn't expecting but about 20-30 based on what all the other people were saying. Alot of people say that they have lost bottom end torque but I actually gained 26 rwtq with these cams.What kind of numbers did you guys pick up from the cams and the new tune that you used???
Same.....................

·
Registered
4,383 Posts

I dont know yet but its no where near 52hp!

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I am going with these also , and no body but Chris is going to tune for my car. This guy is a genius when it comes to tuneing. Well he does not but that and probably has a heck of a lot of experience with these cams. American Muscle has a deal with our forum discount in my opinion. Yea... Chris is the man when it comes to tuning your car .:bigthumbsup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.