Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i recently bought a 93 Mustang GT for my senior project at my tech school, my main goal is to add horsepower right now. I had the idea of buying a spare 302 with efi and building it up but i wanted to see where the biggest bang for my buck could be found, i will most likely have about $2000 to work with for the year. I will also be working for ford by the end of the year so if i dont have enough money now for what i really need then i can slowly piece this motor together over the next year or 2. So what would be the biggest bang for my buck?! (IM VERY INTERESTED IN ROAD RACING)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Hey i recently bought a 93 Mustang GT for my senior project at my tech school, my main goal is to add horsepower right now. I had the idea of buying a spare 302 with efi and building it up but i wanted to see where the biggest bang for my buck could be found, i will most likely have about $2000 to work with for the year. I will also be working for ford by the end of the year so if i dont have enough money now for what i really need then i can slowly piece this motor together over the next year or 2. So what would be the biggest bang for my buck?! (IM VERY INTERESTED IN ROAD RACING)
Biggest issue with the 93 302 is the heads. I believe those are the e6 heads and flow like poo. If you can piece together a good top end kit(heads/cam/intake) you can make that motor into a monster. Read around here and check out the corral classifieds for cheap used parts. Feel free to ask questions around here on any parts. Pretty much any part you can put on a 302 has been reviewed just used the search feature and you should be able to find anything :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet! how much horsepower do you think that would create? my end goal is too be in the 350hp range or higher

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
The E7 heads are definelty the most restricting. Best bang for the buck is : TFS 170 heads with spring upgrade, Holley systemax II intake, and a Comp cam. EFI of course would need a 70mm TB, 24# inj and matched 75mm MAF. 255 Walbro pump. Only other things would be headers and exhaust, electric fan and 3g alternator, remove the airbox silencer, add some March power and amp underdrive pullies. That should give you a gain of about 125hp (340hp) and if you pinch your pennies it can be done for just over $2k.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Exactly what Junky said and look for used parts. Now start saving money for suspension as that will cost you a pretty penny.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
now the next question is if i buy another foxbody motor which would be the best to buy? so i dont risk blowing up my daily driver with 177,000 on it

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The E7 heads are definelty the most restricting. Best bang for the buck is : TFS 170 heads with spring upgrade, Holley systemax II intake, and a Comp cam. EFI of course would need a 70mm TB, 24# inj and matched 75mm MAF. 255 Walbro pump. Only other things would be headers and exhaust, electric fan and 3g alternator, remove the airbox silencer, add some March power and amp underdrive pullies. That should give you a gain of about 125hp (340hp) and if you pinch your pennies it can be done for just over $2k.
Where do i buy all of this? i looked on summit and didnt see the heads or the intake

·
Registered
575 Posts
Mustang Parts & Accessories at 50resto

Everything you need. Summit also has parts to, you just gotta look. You probably wont find OEM heads cam and intake brand new at any of these places though.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Or you could buy an Explorer motor so that you will already have the heads and intake while you rebuild the bottom end. You could probably get one cheap enough.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Explorers and Mercury Mountaineers came with 302 in the late 90's and they came with GT40 intake and GT40 heads stock. So if you get that motor from a junk yard for lets say $400 then you will have the block already to overhaul, the heads can be freshened up and the intake cleaned up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
on the 5.0 mustang engine wouldnt i want a 75mm throttle and MAF sensor? with 24lb injectors? cause i had trouble finding a 70mm MAF sensor

·
Banned
1,207 Posts
The block in the explorer 5.0 is identical to the block in the mustangs. With a gt40 combo you can get close to 300 HP.

The MAF needs to be calibrated to the computer in the stang and to the injector size your running.

At 300 hp your on the line between 19# injectors and 24# injectors. If staying with 19#s the injectors in the explorer are better then the injectors in the stang.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts