Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

In other postings on the Forum I have asked about converting a '65 6 cylinder to an 8. Does anyone out there know of a shop/mechanic in the Houston, Texas area who might do this sort of work? Generally, I am not looking to turn out some sort of pristine trailer queen, but simply a competent runner (my car would get wet and dirty). I can also be reached at [email protected], or 713-227-7444, if someone wants to speak off-the-record about places to go/ones to avoid.

Many thanks,

/s/ Chris :shiny:

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you have to pay someone else to do all of the conversion work you would be better off to sell the 6 and buy a 8 and start with it.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Yeah sell the car most spend 4 grand or more in parts alone to do the swap.You can buy a v8 coupe that runs for 4 grand easy.Parts and labor to do the swap im guessing maybe 6k tops.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks----yes, you are correct that economically it would be better to sell the 6 and buy the 8. The problem is simply that the car has tremendous sentimental value. My father was in the Navy, and it's been with us all over the U.S. and in England during the years. So...... Also, I can do some of this myself, which will help.

Thanks, again!

/s/ Chris:shiny:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi

Hi! :wavey I'm dne' and I live in Houston too!:gringreen
Why not just leave the six in it? I hear there are great ways to beef up the six. That would be way cool to mod a 6 cyl out and maintain it's originality, and in your case, the sentimental value! So the money you would spend putting an 8 in, you could put maybe half of that money into your 6cyl. Besides, you would not just have to mod the motor to an 8, the suspension would have to be upgraded too, another tranny and rear end, miscellaneous crap! yikes(ching ching) Just a thought anyway.
dne'

PS: what part of Houston are you in?
I'm in West Houston:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
471 Posts
I agree with dne' :bigthumbsup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.