Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Kooks, Hooker, Pypes, and BBK are some of the best brands out there for exhaust. Borla is also another good brand.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Pypes has some fitment issues especially with their axle backs. I have yet to see one where everything lined up well.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My Kooks headers are being installed any day now. I did extensive research before buyng and found them to get good reviews.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Pypes has some fitment issues especially with their axle backs. I have yet to see one where everything lined up well.
I have to agree here. Pypes is a good base for building your exhaust. But they have their issues. Quality is one of them. I had an exhaust hanger break off of a muffler on me, and their beams clamps are pieces of crap. And their customer service is terrible. They've basically stopped replying to my emails either because they don't want to own up to their problems or they just don't want to deal with it. Either way, I'm not exactly happy with them as a brand, but their kits are inexpensive and if installed correctly, with some possible modifications needed to make everything line up and be secure, can be a great value.

·
Registered
431 Posts
DynoMax is very good and american made. Only down fall from them is they sell cat back. But their stuff lines up well.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
FWIW, you can order Dynomax's axle back kits directly from Rock Auto, you just have to order the sides separately (but they come with tips, etc)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DynoMax is very good and american made. Only down fall from them is they sell cat back. But their stuff lines up well.
What about Pacesetter? I have heard they are crap and rust and all that but I've only heard that from 1 person. I haven't really looked into it a whole lot. I like that they're cheap and I like that they're black also but what is the quality?

·
Registered
915 Posts
What about Pacesetter? I have heard they are crap and rust and all that but I've only heard that from 1 person. I haven't really looked into it a whole lot. I like that they're cheap and I like that they're black also but what is the quality?
Pacesetter headers are good if you're looking for cheap long tubes. However, they are painted black and the black will eventually burn off and they will rust, however, if you buy their ceramic coated ones, you probably won't have any rust issues, but they are more expensive.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pacesetter headers are good if you're looking for cheap long tubes. However, they are painted black and the black will eventually burn off and they will rust, however, if you buy their ceramic coated ones, you probably won't have any rust issues, but they are more expensive.
I did kinda like that they are black, just because I like to customize my car to have some black parts rather than chrome, or "shiny" if not real chrome. I also liked that the Pacesetter black V6 shortys only cost $150, but I guess you get what you pay for.
What is better with some minor mods like a CAI, throttle body spacer, and coil, wires and performance spark plugs? between shorty and stock. would i have to get extra piping on the stock y pipe to make it reach the headers since they are "shorty"? what is the sound difference?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Hold on...Pacesetter's headers are all mild steel. The black painted ones, that's simply paint to keep them from rusting in storage and it will burn off in the first 10 minutes after you start your car and they will rust. I had one on a car I drove year round and it got very rusty (but, for a long time mild steel headers were all you could get so everyone had rusty headers, that was just how it was).

The "armor coat" headers are supposed to last a bit longer, I've heard mixed reviews, but they will still rust eventually. Ceramic coatings don't prevent rust, but they usually do keep a header looking nice for longer than plain steel.

Most people getting Pacesetters are looking for "bang for the buck." They aren't the highest quality or best made headers out there but they are fairly cheap.

Shorty headers are made to connect to the factory midpipe/y-pipe/whatever you have, but I doubt they'd do much for you.

·
Registered
784 Posts
If you are looking into headers look at Kooks and American Racing Headers. both are good quality.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
MAC's quality control is a little lacking IMO. I had one of their Pro Chambers and it looked like it was welded without a jig, and I had to bend the hangers to get them to line up. Also the passenger side pipe leaked where it attached to the manifold because of the goofy bend they put in the pipe that made it hard to line up correctly.

·
Registered
560 Posts
What about MAC? Are they good?
I had the chambered MAC mufflers on my 07, and I won't buy MAC anything after what I saw with those. They were orange inside and had spots showing through on the bottom after just a few months. They never saw salt or rain either.

I have no regrets about Ford Racing (FRPP) though. I've been running their FR500S mufflers since last March, and they still look new. Great quality and great sound.

I've got a set of Flowmaster Outlaws on the way from AM, because although I like the FR500S, I've always wanted to try the Outlaws.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MAC's quality control is a little lacking IMO. I had one of their Pro Chambers and it looked like it was welded without a jig, and I had to bend the hangers to get them to line up. Also the passenger side pipe leaked where it attached to the manifold because of the goofy bend they put in the pipe that made it hard to line up correctly.
Thanks, one of the options I had in mind for my conversion was the MAC ProChamber from stage3. Now I think I'm gonna cross that one out...

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Even with the Pro Chamber on I didn't care for it, the drone was terrible. And it was too quiet with cats and too loud without them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have pretty much the same feedback on Pypes as everyone else. I just had the mid muffler system installed last week. The place that did it had to refabricate all the hangers. Lucky for me, I brought it in for an estimate and paid upfront before they could charge me more for the extra work. The setup looks and sounds great now. I'm just glad I didn't try to install it myself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts