Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mustang, which I have had for less than two months, is the first car I have had which needed performance tires. When I got the car, it had (and still has) Dayton Daytona ZR tires. I know these tires aren't great and were probably put on by the previous owner as a 'trade-in' tire. However, they still have plenty of tread (look almost brand new, in fact). I don't drag race, and if I do decide to go to the track it will be more out of curiosity to see what I and the car can do rather than for competition. I have driven in the rain several times at Interstate speeds and have only had one instance of loss of traction. That was the first time I drove it in the rain and was due to a combo of rain, bad pavement and me not knowing what to expect. My question is: for a daily driver and possible 'curiosity run' at a drag strip, will these tires be okay to run until I need new tires, or is the quality of them so low as to make them dangerous? The approach of Winter isn't that big a concern to me as we rarely have significant snow around here anymore. We do have occasional icing, but I don't imagine any tire is going to find much grip on ice.

·
Registered
701 Posts
There are some tires who are better on ice than others. For example GoodYear Eagle Ultra Grip GW3. I have those on my stang right now, and I am pretty happy with them.

The question about your Dayton tires:
If they are not damaged, load range and speed rating does not get exceeded and they are not old, you are fine. Just don't expect them to be high performance tires, drive cautious and get a set of decent tires when you have a chance.

·
Registered
364 Posts
First let me say that I have no idea who makes Dayton tires.

However, many of the 2nd and 3rd tier tire brands are actually made by top tier manufacturers. You can often tell by the tread pattern -- a $75 no-name tire may look exactly like the $180 Goodyear except for the sidewall markings. Because of this you can often get a great deal on a tire if you do some research and talk to knowledgeable tire techs and sales people.

I guess my point is - don't sell the Daytons short until you have tried them out. You might be surprised. (Of course they might suck too :) )

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Langod said:
First let me say that I have no idea who makes Dayton tires.

However, many of the 2nd and 3rd tier tire brands are actually made by top tier manufacturers. You can often tell by the tread pattern -- a $75 no-name tire may look exactly like the $180 Goodyear except for the sidewall markings. Because of this you can often get a great deal on a tire if you do some research and talk to knowledgeable tire techs and sales people.

I guess my point is - don't sell the Daytons short until you have tried them out. You might be surprised. (Of course they might suck too :) )
Sorry, should have mentioned that 'Dayton' is a subsidiary of Bridgestone and these tires are said to feature their 'Uni-T' technology. They are supposedly H and W speed rated. It was kind of dumb of me not to mention that, since knowing that was what made me think they might not be too bad and wonder if they might be okay just for daily street use.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
You shouldn't have any issues with those tires for street use. If the rubber is in good condition and there is plenty of thread, you shouldnt have any problems.

An H rating means its got grip up to the 130mph range, W 168mph. I dont know about these tire's specifically but what you want to be aware of is if they are summer tires or all weather and so on, as a summer tire isnt going to perform as well in cold weather.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.